Latest pyro`d bowl!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Made this bowl a few weeks back and took it away on hols (do we woodworkers ever rest :lol: ) to try some pyro on it and I`d be interested in your comments, hope you like it. Since making the bowl I`ve gained a lot of respect for spindle turners as those finials take some doing :) . Still think this finial needs to be a touch thinner but I`m reasonably ok with it. Piece of Ash 200mm diam x 40mm high.

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Ta for that Pete, must get me head around these delicate finials. Just got back from Wild about Wood at Castle Howard near York and seen the excellent turnings with finials on display makes me want to get the skew out this afternoon :)
Steve

To get finials thin, use the skew with your fingers behind the wood supporting it. Sounds dangerous but as you only use very light pressure it isn't. Also make sure that you skew is really sharp. Check out Cindy Drozda for finials

Pete

Very very nice Steve :D
I would also say take a look at CindyDs DVDs if you want to get into doing finials Steve.I have seen two of her DVDs and they are quite good.

Steve, very pretty, I read between the lines a doubt about the finial.
In my umble opinion, it has to be a more delicate finial.
A finial needs sometimes more time than the bowl itself....))
Ad

I agree Ad and the more I look at it the more it's going back on the lathe to do battle with the skew :p
Steve

Steve,

I love what your doing with these pyrod bowls, I think there great.

More work on the finials as suggested is all that's required to really set these pieces off.

Good luck with small thin bits of wood and the SKEW!!! :?

Back