Finish over Pyrography?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps
Just putting the finishing touches to a Tulip wood bowl I`ve pyro`d a pattern on. I`ve tried some Lemon oil on an off cut with a bit of pyro on but it makes the wood too dark and I want to keep the contrast between the greeny/cream of the Tulipwood and the dark of the pyro burn if poss and wondered if there are any finishes that don`t darken the wood at all?. I`ve tried some Acrylic sealer on another bit which seems promising though never used sealer as a finish before any suggestions please?
Cheers
Steve

What about trying a clear waterbased lacquer? It will give the same colour as you see when wiping a damp cloth over the surface but the benefit is that it will not change colour over time unlike the solvent based finishes. You can get this finish (3 coats recommended) in Matt, Satin & Gloss.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian I did think of using the sanding sealer and then buffing it with the Chestnut buffing system. Good excuse to treat myself to one. :lol:

Back