PVA glue roller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucramuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a cheaply priced roller for applying PVA glue to flexi ply panels / veneers (intend to start making some bendy shelving etc).

I am rather shocked at the price of some of these branded units with hoppers, way,way more than I want to spend.

I have seen some rollers from the US, but I'm an expat now living in Cape Town, so won't send here (believe me, its tough trying to get stuff here sometimes)

I have a friend coming back from England in the next couple of weeks so can use her as my 'mule'!

Any suggestions, it seems the hopper based although very practical are costly so would have to go with a roller only.

I have noticed something on Amazon UK, Speedball brayer, would this work?

Thanks for any help

An Englishman in Cape Town

I made a PVA roller from the front-roller-mechanism of a knackered belt sander. Shaped the metal frame a bit, riveted a 2 piece wooden handle on it, works perfectly.

I use the same as the one linked to above. Works great and rinses off nicely under the tap. For larger areas I use a wide rubber roller designed for rolling/mounting photographic prints.

One thing that I read on a website was to spread PVA using a piece of threaded rod. It was an imperial size on the us website but broadly equivalent to m8. This was said to leave the correct amount of glue behind. A posh version would have a handle added to it, and still coat you less than a couple of quid!

I think it was the titebond site. May not have been.

Something like the item below should work fine - about £3 - £5 per set in the UK, and similar items used myself countless times for veneering and laminating jobs executed with PVA and aliphatic resin glues, as well as urea formaldehyde and other water based adhesives. The tools are washable and re-usable. It's often helpful to thin PVA or aliphatic adhesives with somewhere between 5 and 10% water for easier rolling out. Slainte.
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-to ... Tray%20Set

har5331540c.jpg

I use a small paint roller that comes with a plastic tray that can be sealed with a lid. By leaving about 3/8" of glue in the tray the roller stays moist enough that the glue doesn't start to set. I leave the tray set up for months, using it now and then.

For large surfaces I start by pouring some glue onto the surface and then spreading it with a toothed spreader, actually just a piece of plastic laminate with slots cut in it on the bandsaw. It's shown in the lower right corner of the image.

Attachments

• GlueRoller.jpg
    GlueRoller.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3,036
Sgian Dubh":ep7a0dft said:
executed with PVA and aliphatic resin glues

"Aliphatic resin glue" usually triggers an anti-marketing spin reflex action rant from me, but as you really know your onions inside out, and I guess PVA-with-added-aliphatic-resin-tackifiers glue is quite a mouthful, I will let it go. Almost.

Slightly OT from rollers, but I've been using these packers to level a sub-floor, and they will now be my default notched glue spreader as the profile is perfect.

Only available in lifetime's supply bag (if used only as glue spreaders), at least from screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/broadfix-prec ... pack/76521

Marcus (?)

I snipped one edge of an old credit card with some pinking-shears. (Missus played merry hell!) But it makes a good glue spreader, and can be used on the straight edge too.

The PVA chips away when it's dry, if you forget to wash it.

Jake":13few19h said:
"Aliphatic resin glue" usually triggers an anti-marketing spin reflex action rant from me, but as you really know your onions inside out, and I guess PVA-with-added-aliphatic-resin-tackifiers glue is quite a mouthful, I will let it go.
I'm not the least interested in the marketing devices applied to glue types usually described as PVA or some version of aliphatic: they all generally come in the form of a white, yellow, or (sometimes) brown reasonably viscous liquid I lump together as plastic resin adhesive of one sort or another.

I simply used the terms PVA and aliphatic because these are descriptions most woodworkers, professional and amateur, are familiar with - that's how they're generally described on the container. Whatever the description and nomenclature, in my experience, all these 'plastic resin adhesives' are easily spread on large surfaces with simple paint rollers, preferably short nap or foam. Slainte.

Hair comb!
Works fine, inexpensive, can be found about anywhere, and there are a lot of sizes and teeth pitches to choose from!

phil.p":319cltba said:
I use a garden mister to lightly spray all joints if using PVA in hot weather - it stops the moisture being pulled out of it too quickly, and gives a little more open time.
This interests me. Temps now mid 30's and heading north of that daily and I'm noticing the glue is drying pretty damn fast on assembly.

This factual? How much mist?

Latest posts

Back