Puzzle Chest Critique Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secret Top compartment.

P1030213.jpg

P1030215.jpg

As you can see since it was made I have added some Wenge squares, this was due to a bad burn caused by a candle, which I repaired nicely I think, although now I have another burn, but any way here are some pics of the secret compartment in the top.

This is the Key
P1030247.jpg

As you can see its magnetic
P1030248.jpg

This is the secret top conpartment locked
P1030216.jpg

Still locked
P1030217.jpg

Half unlocked
P1030218.jpg

Still half unlocked
P1030219.jpg

Now fully unlocked
P1030220.jpg

This is how to open it now its unlocked
P1030221.jpg

P1030222.jpg

P1030222.jpg

P1030223.jpg

P1030224.jpg

P1030225.jpg

P1030226.jpg

P1030227.jpg

P1030228.jpg

P1030229.jpg

P1030230.jpg

P1030231.jpg

P1030233.jpg

P1030234.jpg

P1030235.jpg

P1030236.jpg

P1030237.jpg

P1030238.jpg

It balances open at this point, but can just be lifted off also.
P1030239.jpg

P1030240.jpg

P1030241.jpg

This is the magnetic lock in the locked position
P1030243.jpg

In the unlocked position
P1030244.jpg

P1030245.jpg

P1030246.jpg

P1030248.jpg

That's pretty ingenious Doogy, great for drug dealers :) :) :)
If it unlocked a smaller felt-lined compartment in the top, instead of being the whole table top surface I think it would be a real winner.

Top man. Cheers _Dan.

Orcamesh":3dfxgdp6 said:
Amazing Doogy! I also agree with many of the other comments. But you definitely have something there. It is all too easy to see only the first one that you have shared with us, and only comment on how that one looks. But given some time with further designs, as I'm sure you know, you could come up with loads of ideas. One thing you could try and do is to get it modelled professionally in computer graphics (something more powerful than Sketchup) so that different designs could be visualised in 3D? Then you could basically show these 3D models to prospective clients and ask them which one they would choose. These 3D models could become part of your website. Then people will not be guided only by one or two "looks" or "designs". Alternatively make several very different chests (i.e. using very different woods &/or materials) and then use these as marketing tools. Another idea would be to make some scale models in different timbers/materials. These could be carried around with you and shown to prospective clients?

Anyway, well done, it is a great piece and must make your family & friends go nuts trying to work out how to find everything!! :lol:
cheers
Steve

Cheers Steve, I like the idea of the 3D modeling especially for a website, but I alredy have alot of samples and scale representations that I carry around with me, and most of my clients just want studys bookcases and wardrobes, although I have had a few jobs off the back of them seeing the pictures, and wanting furniture in a simmilar style, my main customer base is very small and mainly word of mouth, so for this I would be concidering a website to reach more people, and being able to show many finishes whithout having to build them first appeals to me very much.

thanks again and yes I have told them there is money hidden in it and they can have it if they find it, Ive spent it now, but they have still never found where it was.

goldeneyedmonkey":19ycnc00 said:
That's pretty ingenious Doogy, great for drug dealers :) :) :)
If it unlocked a smaller felt-lined compartment in the top, instead of being the whole table top surface I think it would be a real winner.

Top man. Cheers _Dan.

Well I have thought of everyone then because there is a very secret small compartment which is even more difficult to open unless you how, hidden right in the center.

I think it's totally amazing. Unlike some other people here, I like the brick wall look. It's intriguing as the chest is obviously made of wood, yet it's styled as brickwork.

I like the *idea* of all the secret compartments/drawers - although whether I would like the actuality, I'm not so sure - I think I would loose things in so many drawers/compartments and get particularly frustrated at having to remember which order to do things to open all the compartments!

I like the idea of a table with storage, and I think it would look great in the right setting. I have teenage friends who would just love to have something like this, (although none with parents rich enough to be able to afford such bespoke furniture for their teens!)

I agree 100% with Kym.

One possible market (potentitally the largest imho) is kids. Make it smaller and paint it so it resembles a rubics cube. Kids will love teh "secret" compartments and the bright colours. Also the "rubics cube" scheme would imply "puzzle" in the same manor as you think the brick look does.

Ryan

tekno.mage":ez4dl82x said:
I think it's totally amazing. Unlike some other people here, I like the brick wall look. It's intriguing as the chest is obviously made of wood, yet it's styled as brickwork.

I like the idea of a table with storage, and I think it would look great in the right setting. I have teenage friends who would just love to have something like this, (although none with parents rich enough to be able to afford such bespoke furniture for their teens!)

Cheers Kym, its good to know that some people like the 'brick look' and it would seem the market is with Teens, and young Batchelors.

Pvt_Ryan":14zeg5yd said:
I agree 100% with Kym.

One possible market (potentitally the largest imho) is kids. Make it smaller and paint it so it resembles a rubics cube. Kids will love teh "secret" compartments and the bright colours. Also the "rubics cube" scheme would imply "puzzle" in the same manor as you think the brick look does.

Ryan

I like the rubics cube Idea, has got me thinking again, the key could be a rubics cube with a strong magnet in it, and the locking mechanism could easily be applied to the draws instead of the top, by using mdf and painting it would bring the cost down too.

thanks for the input Ryan

I have now patented that Idea and suing you for billions.. :p

well ok I'll waive my rights for 1 of the rubic cube style ones.. :D

and if that is too much I suppose a fully documented WIP would be suffice.. ;)

I think it's awesome. I really like the brick effect too - as I'm sure would lots of buyers in the USA.

However, I think you could also rather than bricks, have the outside covered in rectilinear based shapes, with some drawers being the same shape as the shape, and some not. That would really screw with people's minds, as just when they think they have found a shape that looks like it should be a drawer, it's not, the drawer is cleverly concealed next to it... or something. (Am I making sense?). Similat to what you have now, but less "brick bond grid" like.

Si.

Wow indeed. =D> =D> =D>

But knowing me I would forget which drawer to open first; in effect 'losing the key' as well as the plot!

That would be the no-buy signal for me. Still it is a great example of patience and skill. Cracking work.

John :D

But it isn't a brick wall - it's a mind boggling puzzle box. Mind boggling (to me at least) in the initial design as well as the "where the hell did I put the remote this time?" sort of thing.
If it weren't for the brick courses it wouldn't work as at least some of the puzzlement will be caused by not knowing what area is a draw face - if they were traditional draw faces it would be a bit obvious. Sure they could be broken up in different ways but I think this would take, practically, a different design; a different chest.

I think it's stunning. And, for those who's taste it is of course, I think it could fetch quite a lot of money. A fascinating talking point and something to show off.

If I were you I'd think about putting a subtle designer signature on them somewhere. People seem to get excited about that and in future, seeing one and wondering if it's a genuine "insert sig here".

My only crit. would be the castors.... though I realise it's a prototype and that you'd probly shove something nice and low and brass on 'em maybe.

The question of how long it took to make that one, the prototype, isn't the same as how long would they take to make when making a run of them with a good production line of processes is set up. Less interesting work but much quicker.

Benchwayze":22mpqvul said:
Wow indeed. =D> =D> =D>

But knowing me I would forget which drawer to open first; in effect 'losing the key' as well as the plot!

That would be the no-buy signal for me. Still it is a great example of patience and skill. Cracking work.

John :D

Thanks John
Thanks Mark

Richard T":3eopggr7 said:
But it isn't a brick wall - it's a mind boggling puzzle box. Mind boggling (to me at least) in the initial design as well as the "where the hell did I put the remote this time?" sort of thing.
If it weren't for the brick courses it wouldn't work as at least some of the puzzlement will be caused by not knowing what area is a draw face - if they were traditional draw faces it would be a bit obvious. Sure they could be broken up in different ways but I think this would take, practically, a different design; a different chest.

I think it's stunning. And, for those who's taste it is of course, I think it could fetch quite a lot of money. A fascinating talking point and something to show off.

If I were you I'd think about putting a subtle designer signature on them somewhere. People seem to get excited about that and in future, seeing one and wondering if it's a genuine "insert sig here".

My only crit. would be the castors.... though I realise it's a prototype and that you'd probly shove something nice and low and brass on 'em maybe.

The question of how long it took to make that one, the prototype, isn't the same as how long would they take to make when making a run of them with a good production line of processes is set up. Less interesting work but much quicker.

Cheers Richard, those were my thoughts also, I like the Designer Signiture Idea an think I might use the signiture 'Doogoir' for my more artistic creations.

A small and possably useless idea but i'll say it anyways :D useing some push catches (dont know the propper name, the ones where you have no handle and have to push the door to unlatch it) you could make the exterior draw fronts all sorts of mad shapes (and slightly offset as well to add confusion) and have people guessing and pushing all over the place to see if it unlocked a draw. You could even do a complete jigsaw patten exterior, again this would have people well flumoxed (sp?) as to which 'piece' hid a draw.

No skills":3ue0szgn said:
You could even do a complete jigsaw patten exterior, again this would have people well flumoxed (sp?) as to which 'piece' hid a draw.

That could look quite good.

love it, and all the ideas spawned too, hpl faced drawers in all colours - ideal way to use up off cuts from other projects, and 1 main advantage is that HPL is available in too many colours, styles, textures and materials.

Keep us informed on the next phase.

K

Back