Purple meths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with red diesel and using it in a car on the road is that regardless of colour it has some sort of "trace" in it that tests positive . . . years ago when I had a diesel LandRover I was stopped a couple of times and had the tank dipped by the Customs & Excise people (innocent!) - they also said that the trace can be identified even if red had only been used once followed by legal stuff ... something about the pump or injectors?
In Canada if you get pulled over and tested, all you have to say is I was down a mountain road and ran out of gas and was stranded so put a few jerry cans of red gas in to get me back out and home. Perfectly legal now!

I've not seen pure alchohol for sale in any supermarkets, but I have bought a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol from Ebay for a few small cleaning jobs. I prefer it to other cleaning products.

I used purple meths to clean the glue residue off some new glass doors a few months ago and it was a horrid smell to me. Only slightly better than the white spirit alternative.

Our local supermarket here in France stocks a range of chemicals in the 'household' section. Ethanol, isopropyl-alcohol, acetone, hydrochloric and sulphuric acid to name a few. All in 1L bottles. I think this is pretty common here.

I’ve used the purple meths mixed with shellac and noticed no difference in colour in the finished project.

Back