Pugh auction this Saturday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info Dick...I will go check those links out...seeing how my toes have just defrosted and I just ain't going out to the workshop again tonight!

I start getting withdrawal symptoms in the winter with the lack of bootfairs...I find the ones in Kent are a mine of old tools and machinery...indeed most of my workshop is kitted out with bargains from those fairs.

Cheers

Jim

big soft moose":1qpndieq said:
On the rare occasions that i buy from these auctions I tend to buy green wood for turning - and then part turn it into platters/ bowls etc , let it move, and then finish the turning - the process shortens the seasoning to 6 months to a year ands also has the advantage that the bulk removal while green creates hardly any dust.

i can understand those reasons. Where I struggle in understanding is those folk (and I put myself in that category as you have seen my ash mountain) who buy huge 3" x 9" x 6ft lengths of green oak or ash.

Roger

LocalOak":35hlse65 said:
Charlotte":35hlse65 said:
Umm, not sure it was - I was the 6' one with purple hair, black glasses and a green/pink snowboard jacket getting outbid by £2 on everything. did well on the cramps though :)

Charlotte, I know exactly who you are, well at least I recognise your description of yourself. My only distinguishing feature was the small, voluble and unutterably cute (yes I'm biased) little bundle who called "daddy" loudly across the room from time to time.

I had my eye on those cramps but as I didn't get them am delighted you did. [edit] Sorry, got confused with another posting, too much home made ginger wine, 60p a bottle and lethal...[/edit]

Toby

We really must get some form of identifier! I gazed round a few times wondering whether there was anyone there. I do remember seeing Charlotte although, of course, I didn't realise then that it was - if you get my drift. I was wearing a blue outdoor-type jacket, sometimes a red hat, and look a bit like Richard Branson (without the hair or the money). I do have his beard ...but then so did 75% of the blokes there!

I did contemplate wandering around with one trouser leg rolled up, but it was a bit chilly....

Maybe we should get some Wizer badges and wear them?

Did you get any bargains Roger?

LocalOak":o7jgl0hm said:
I did contemplate wandering around with one trouser leg rolled up, but it was a bit chilly....

Maybe we should get some Wizer badges and wear them?

Did you get any bargains Roger?

Couple of pieces of walnut (I have none) for stock - and to use in 2013 when it's dry :cry: Paid over the odds for a large slab of elm.

RogerS":1ar60155 said:
We really must get some form of identifier! I gazed round a few times wondering whether there was anyone there. I do remember seeing Charlotte although, of course, I didn't realise then that it was - if you get my drift. I was wearing a blue outdoor-type jacket, sometimes a red hat, and look a bit like Richard Branson (without the hair or the money). I do have his beard ...but then so did 75% of the blokes there!

I kept an eye out for you Roger but in my haste to get there I only took my work phone which didn't have your mobile number sorry. I arrived at ~9am, had a quick scoot around and then went to buy horse and dog feed at Countrywide. I came back at 10:30 and parked in the sunken car park but then got accosted by four ladies in quick succession to help pull their cars out with my 4x4!

This delay meant that I missed most of the items that I had my eye on so ended up with some 1"x6"x9' green oak to fix the siding on my barn and a horse bell to keep the wife happy - this earned me lots of brownie points.

For others who stayed the course, I was the youngish (<30), unshaven, black jacket and beanie hat wearing bidder by the sliding doors. It did cross my mind that the UKW badges would have come in useful.

Cheers,
Chris

Localoak, It was me muttering about nothing being sharp enough to cut you etc......you have a young woodie in the making there.

Squib

nice to meet you, and yes, I'm hoping to get her interested. She likes shiny things already so I forsee a slope in the distant future (hopefully with her own high flying salary rather than my distinctly lower income).

Next time we should wear badges, or the same hat, or all agree to bid on the same lot or something.

I now think I know who you are Localoak and my mother had her eye on that bell. Unfortunately, I didn't get the oak I was after because it was green.....one of those lumps you were talking about Roger - needed for (another) cupboard. It will be off the reclaim yard in Ciren then. I generally feel that I'm recognisable for being a bird but there were a few others there!

I look a little like the photo on www.charlyburnett.com - though that's 3 years old now.

Charlotte":1bbced9r said:
It will be off the reclaim yard in Ciren then.

Hi Charlotte,

Your website is down BTW.

I pretty sure I walked past you whilst you were chatting to squib. Is the reclaimation yard you talk of the one by the flying club (gliders)?

Cheers,
C

Back