Protective coating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2bye

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have finished making a drawer cabinet made out of plywood for my shed which is not insulated, can I have some advice please on what type of product I could use to help protect it.

Attachments

• 86F2EA10-F9EA-44F3-814C-BBB6149696A8.jpeg
    86F2EA10-F9EA-44F3-814C-BBB6149696A8.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 21
I used Danish oil to finish the cabinet and drawers that I made for my shed, but I'd have thought that almost any decent wood finish would be OK, from oils to varnish, to paint.

G.

Polyurethane varnish watered down for me!

Coated a kitchen stool I made and it's been hammered beyond belief and it's still holding up!

Cheers James

Thanks for your replies, i have never used Danish Oil as I am very much a beginner to woodwork but I will use this as I have used varnish in the past.

I think you said you would not use Danish oil but I wasn't quite clear. Beware of Danish oil as it will turn your lovely light plywood a darker colour. There was another thread a couple of weeks ago on finishing plywood, there was lots of great advice on how to protect and keep it light.

Wickes No Nonsense Trade Interior Varnish worked well on my Birch Ply cabinets. Goes on easily enough, doesn't darken it much, looks good, holds up really well and doesn't break the bank.
(I have no shares in Wickes)

Back