Protection for painted emulsioned doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice.

Just made some doors for units, only for the garage and nothing fancy, and painted them with some old emulsion I had lying around and come up quite good, however I was wondering if I could coat them with something just to harden the finish, also to stop moisture in the winter as it's an external garage.

Would a coat of clear varnish be O.K. as I have a few old odd tins lying around?

Thanks
Phil

I suppose its the equivalent of applying a scumble glaze, I dont see why a standard clear varnish wont work as well as a product specific scumble. Perhaps the usual 'try a small test area first' precaution might be wise.......

Ive clear varnished painted floorboards before and that works well.

I wouldn't recommend a interior varnish be applied outside. It's very likely to crack , blister and flake off causing quite a mess.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything that would sit well on an emulsion paint externally.

How about a coat of Zinsser BIN - which is a shellac based paint. It will go on anything and act as a buffer between 'anything' and whatever you want to put on next.

I think it would be fine - though 'varnish' can mean so many different things. Alternatively use any left over gloss paint or a few more coats of the same emulsion.

Woodfinish Man":3vmj11ol said:
I wouldn't recommend a interior varnish be applied outside. It's very likely to crack , blister and flake off causing quite a mess.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything that would sit well on an emulsion paint externally.
The OP did say "units for the garage" - I presume they're indoors?

Latest posts

Back