protecting your camera

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed451

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know several readers here are into photography so I thought I'd put forward this problem here: I need to be able to use my camera outside and in inclement weather (rain, snow, whatever). Is there some hood or other protective barrier I can get to keep it from getting ruined by the moisture? I checked at the local camera store and they suggested either buying a diving housing (big $$) or buying a professional camera that has all the seals for use outside, such as one a sports photographer would use (even bigger $$). If it helps, I'm currently using a Nikon D70s.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Nikon used to do what they call blimp covers for some of their professional cameras which were designed to make them quieter for use where the sound could be picked up on a microphone. Don't know if they do such things today (you could give Nikon a ring or try their website www.nikon.co.uk) but they covered all the camera (bit like a padded leather bag) except for the lens front, shutter release, etc. That would work. An underwater housing would be much too cumbersome (if you go for that option you might as well wear flippers as well :roll: )

My choice would be a heavy-duty, transparent plastic bag with a hole cut out for the lens. Put a UV filter on the lens to protect that (it won't affect your pictures). And keep the camera under your coat until you are ready to take your picture (that will also help to keep the batteries warm - they don't work as well in cold weather).

Hope this helps :wink:

Paul

Ed451":154nv6hi said:
I need to be able to use my camera outside and in inclement weather (rain, snow, whatever). I'm currently using a Nikon D70s.

Hi Ed

A blimp housing is a right royal pain in the a**e. It is big, and always in the way I hate them. I used to use an old T shirt cut up to wrap round the body and lans barrel, does make you look like a Papperazzi tho!

I now use a old Pro Nikon D1H body with body seals you can get them for not much on the bay. Not that high resolution (3MP) but as many experienced snappers will tell you this is not really a prob unless you are blowing up over 10x8 size.

Having said that I would probably get the Nikon D200 as it is an awsome bit of kit. It has a Magnesium body (like the nearly £3,000 D2xs) with body seals, 10.2MP and 5 fps. Your D70s lenses will fit and you could get a bit of money off by trading in the D70s or selling privately.

If you really want a new weatherproof body the D200 is the cheapest route for you. However I recommend getting an older pro body, D1, D1h, D1x. Mind you for the price of a new D200 you could get an older D2h body with 8 fps or if you really keep your eyes open you may even get your hands on a first gen D2x - proper camera =P~

I'll admit that I don't know what the weather is like in Eastern Canada but unless you want to do something really extreme like whitewater rafting I can't see the D70s being affected by weather conditions.

I have one, and used to have an F801s (N8008 for North American readers) which I took around the world with me. Trans-Siberian railway, Australian desert, Indonesian Jungles and it took everything I threw at it, even going flat on my back with it in a daypack in the Southern Alps.

I have used my D70 in persistent rain without giving it a second thought other than to dry it off before putting it back in its case.

I think perhaps you are worrying unduly although as I said I don't have direct experience of the weather in your neck of the woods.

Andrew

Thanks, everyone, for all the input. Eastern Canada is like the rest of Canada...-25C in the winter, +30 C in the summer, not including wind chill and humidity. I need to advise my boss which camera to buy me so I can take photos of motor vehicle accidents. I'm sure it's no surprise to you that accidents often occur in inclement weather, so I was being (I hope) suitably cautious. I currently use (personally) a D70s and find that it works well given the broad range of lighting I have to contend with. That's my reason for getting an SLR for work rather than that Olympus camera that's safe for 10' underwater.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Ed :D

When I was living there, although it probably wouldn't be ideal for constant use, I just used a clear plastic bag! Cut a circle for the lens and held it on with a rubber band or tape - and the same for the viewfinder.

All the controls are accessible and easy to see. Just make sure you take it off before bringing it into any warmth to prevent condensation. It's a rough and ready solution but it works and I’ve used it a lot over here with the Digitals.

Latest posts

Back