Proms 2008

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone been listening to these? Been to any?

As I type this I'm listening to (again) the Rachmaninov Symphony No 2 with a new conductor - Stefan Solyom - only 29 years old but this performance has to be one of the most heart-stoppingly beautiful performance. If you read this and have time, turn on Radio 3 !!

Anyone else have any favourites?

Roger

I've been watching and listening to the proms very loosely, but did watch
Nicholas Daniel, a brilliant oboeist, a couple of times. On the first night playing the Mozart oboe concerto,( i play the flute,and love the Mozart flute concertos, no2 k314, was written for the oboe, then Mozart adapted it for the flute) and last week playing the Elliot carter concerto, an amazing player..

yes I have it on here. Always tune in to the last night.

I love it! Me and SWIMBO watching, and whilst singing along merrily, laughing our heads off at the amount of English eccentrics and oddball toffs in the crowd.

I would love to go one day, but I have tried for the past 4 years and been knocked back. Just keep trying...

Mark

It never fails to amaze me how non-UK/Commonwealth flags always appear in the audience on the Last Night. Tonight I was particularly bemused by the prominence of German and Vatican flags.

Gill

Gill, I have friends in Germany and apparently the Proms is absolutely massive over there! :shock: Lots of German families have big 'Proms Parties' and sing Land of Hope and Glory! It's lovely to know, but slightly bemusing :lol:

I go to Proms in the Park when I can, I decided against it this year as Hyde Park would probably have been a Glastonbury-esque mud-fest after the weather we've been having!

Watched it on the tele last night and have to say that I thought it was a Bryn Terfel night, and as for the piece of music composed by the young Scottish composer, I felt that it was awful, hope she didn't get paid to much of our license fee mone?
Apart from that is was well worth watching.

Gill":clgt4970 said:
It never fails to amaze me how non-UK/Commonwealth flags always appear in the audience on the Last Night. Tonight I was particularly bemused by the prominence of German and Vatican flags.

Gill
I particularly enjoyed the young South Korean lad prodly waving some kind of LCD panel displaying his countries flag :lol:

Mark

And I seem to remember some twit claiming the Proms were too exclusive! Beats me. If music doesn't unite us nothing will.

Roy.

The Proms. My favorite time of year. Do other countries have a similar offering?
Yours in music.
Gower :D

Latest posts

Back