Product ideas for exhibitions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonStevensCanes

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Morning all, I exhibited at Makers Central last year and had trouble shifting product due to my high price point. I'd like to attend again this year, but I need to have a realistic expectation of making it pay for itself (at least). My plan is to introduce some lower priced products that ideally have at least some similarity to walking sticks, but if not then so be it. So far my list is....
  • Walking stick shoe horn (might be a good use of reject walking sticks)
  • Walking stick handle push stick (as in, table saw)
  • Walking stick bottle opener
  • Bowls
I hope the collective mind on here is better than my single brain, can anybody think of any other ideas? The cheaper the better really, but if cheap then it's got to be something that I can knock out quickly and has low material costs (obviously).

Isnt the problem with makers central type shows....is that everyone who attends is a maker...they see your product /idea and think i'll make that but i'll make it better /cheaper?
certainly, and probably half my conversations last year was telling people how to make their own, and that's fine, it was great fun chatting to fellow makers. At the same time though, there is plenty of demand for things to buy, people attend an event and they want to go away with something. Makers Central specifically also has a much higher ratio of non-makers (spouses, children etc) who won't share the same "ooh I'll make that" response.

All that said, maybe what you've said is actually the opportunity. I could sell tropical hardwood kits, a rough cut handle, brass pin, transition and rough cut cane. Maybe that would let sell to the walking stick makers. Great idea, thanks!

Can't (won't) do that for real due to uk laws about blades, but I have had in mind to make a prop version. I'll add it to my list of things that might entice people to my stand.

you could try and create a range of walking sticks for different budgets, use different woods, that's all I can think of, the more expensive ones emphasise that they're hand made and one offs and custom/bespoke using premium woods like cocobolo, ebony, pink ivory e.t.c and the cheaper ones are produced in batches to bring the cost down with less of a hand made feel to it, you could also offer to make custom sticks that are bespoke to each person at a premium price, just thinking out loud.

Sword stick light sabre?

Not going to be cheap to do though I guess
or just light sabres, they're stick shaped :D. If I can establish a process that's quicker than making a walking stick then it could be reasonably priced. Quite whether people will be prepared to buy a big dense wooden stick for their kid to play with, I don't know. Somebody's definitely gonna get brained with that, some things are better made from plastic 🤣.

Along a similar trend though, wizard wands 🤔

or just light sabres, they're stick shaped :D. If I can establish a process that's quicker than making a walking stick then it could be reasonably priced. Quite whether people will be prepared to buy a big dense wooden stick for their kid to play with, I don't know. Somebody's definitely gonna get brained with that, some things are better made from plastic 🤣.

Who said it's for kids! ;)

Could you get busy with some LED lights & small batteries to make sticks with built-in lights? Either to see or be seen. I have seen small kids here go mad for crappy plastic umbrellas with this feature.

What about selfie sticks?

You have said bowls so I assume you have a lathe. Snowmen for Christmas! Good use of all the small bits laying around. Quick to make, think I have done 50 plus over the years for friends, you could also do smaller ones as tree decorations.

Attachments

• EB31F571-D3DC-45F2-849F-A815EE72607D.jpeg
    EB31F571-D3DC-45F2-849F-A815EE72607D.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 0
You have said bowls so I assume you have a lathe
I've just been looking at hip flasks on ebay.

My idea is to remove the outside sections of a bowling ball, the parts that have the makers discs on them. Remove the insides enough to fit a circular hip flask. Then glue the 2 shells back together so you have something quirky and unique.

I'm reckoning I'll have to go with a small flask, maybe 3.5 oz, so about 70mm in diameter and maybe 1" thick, maybe less.

Dildos for the women? 😆

We made a couple of quick light sabers from waste pipe and broom handles. The kids didnt kill each other but the lightsabres soon got snapped 😒 they just break everything.

Attachments

• 20211113_152641.jpg
    20211113_152641.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211113_152323.jpg
    20211113_152323.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211113_152405.jpg
    20211113_152405.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
Dildos for the women? 😆

I don't want to be responsible for those splinters 😳
400 grit and a bit of beeswax should fix that ;)

I'm just going to share a bit of knowledge I've gained doing various shows throughout the years. The key is to get the punter to stand at your stall for as long as possible. One of the ways of doing this is to have a varied selection of things so they have to stop or at least slow down so their eyes have to dot around. It seems to me that you're only making walking sticks and if I was walking past a stall like that I would think "oh that guys just selling walking sticks I don't want one" and move on without stopping at all.

My advice is to make really small things, I'm talking about things that people can either carry easily in their hand or put in their pocket. If this is a big show then they'll have to carry it around while getting lunch (or more likely queuing for 20 minutes for it beforehand), going to the toilet and wondering around all the other stalls too. All this before trudging back to the huge car park or find public transport. Also money is tight for everyone right now and smaller items are quick to make and easy on the pocket too. Also come up with something no one else makes and everyone will buy it including the makers to rip it off.

I'm just going to share a bit of knowledge I've gained doing various shows throughout the years. The key is to get the punter to stand at your stall for as long as possible. One of the ways of doing this is to have a varied selection of things so they have to stop or at least slow down so their eyes have to dot around. It seems to me that you're only making walking sticks and if I was walking past a stall like that I would think "oh that guys just selling walking sticks I don't want one" and move on without stopping at all.

My advice is to make really small things, I'm talking about things that people can either carry easily in their hand or put in their pocket. If this is a big show then they'll have to carry it around while getting lunch (or more likely queuing for 20 minutes for it beforehand), going to the toilet and wondering around all the other stalls too. All this before trudging back to the huge car park or find public transport. Also money is tight for everyone right now and smaller items are quick to make and easy on the pocket too. Also come up with something no one else makes and everyone will buy it including the makers to rip it off.
That's basically my plan. I'm going to cater to the makers, but also makers spouses. I was just thinking that maybe I don't want to overdo it with the number of different things I'm planning to sell, but your point about having a variety of interest on the stall to get people to stop is a really good one, and definitely something to take on board.

Back