Problems with an MYford ML8 motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueB

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to turning and I've recently got hold of an old Myford ML8 lathe. I've been using it for several months but now the motor won't turn until I give the wood a spin before pressing the on switch. I've replaced the fan belt (a leather contraption) with a new one which came with it. There does not seem to be any evidence of a capacitor on the motor which is an Associated Electricial Industries make. The motor label says: BS 2412,
Volts 220/240
Phase 1
HP 1/2
A 3.6 or 36 - hard to read
RPM 1488
AEI was bought up in 1967 so I've a feeling this is a very old machine.

Any ideas how I might fix the problem or what motor I could fit to replace this one.

Also, there is no instruction manual with the lathe so advice on basic maintenance that I should do would be gratefully received. I'm reasonably handy with hand tools and electric drills/ chop saws but I'm a complete novice with electric motors.

Thanks very much, Sue

It sounds like the capacitor has failed, it could be inside the motor casing. Perhaps another ML8 user could confirm where it might be hiding!

Hello Sue and welcome, No doubt a sparky or turner will be along soon to help, Mean while you can have a butchers at the link below, Parvum's comments are relevant to you're situation I would think.
Regards Rodders

myford-ml8-motor-t60236.html

I have a maintenance leaflet and exploded diagram which I can scan if you send me your email address. I agree the problem sounds like a capacitor, although some induction motors use a separate start winding which is operated via a centrifugal clutch.
My ML8 came without a motor and I fitted an old washing machine motor, under powered at 1/4 hp but it worked ok. If you fit a replacement, make sure it is 1425 rpm (4 pole), and it would save work if the motor spindle is the same size as the pulley, also the mounting feet.

K

Hi Sue Your motor is probably fitted with a centrifugal switch that takes the start windings out of circuit when the motor has spun up to full speed.This switch often gets jammed and either won't let go or fails to close when the motor slows to a stop. Its usually not to difficult to remove the end bell of the motor and gently clean the switch and its sliding bits, don't be tempted to oil it though, as oil will encourage wood dust to congeal around it and jam it again.Beware of trying to run the motor until you have fixed the switch, as if the switch fails to open when the motor is up to speed the start windings will fry and a rewind will be necessary! although it sounds as though your switch is stuck open and the start windings are not being energised.Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end I've taken the motor off the lathe to take it to a company recommended to me so they can have a look and see if it is repairable.

I would like to take up K's offer of a maintenance manual but I don't seem to be able to send private messages as I haven't participated in the UKWorkshop community sufficiently yet.

Sue

SueB":2mvrl8cp said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end I've taken the motor off the lathe to take it to a company recommended to me so they can have a look and see if it is repairable.

I would like to take up K's offer of a maintenance manual but I don't seem to be able to send private messages as I haven't participated in the UKWorkshop community sufficiently yet.

Sue
After you have posted more than 3 then you can post links, and most other stuff except sell, which requires a post count of 20, or more.
I hope you're repairer can clean that switch, if Parvum is right.
HTH Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back