Myford ML8 worn thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTay65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, just joined the forum as I’ve bought an old Myford ML8 wood lathe but the inboard thread on the shaft will not hold the face plate. Looking through previous threads it seems it’s hard to buy a replacement shaft so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions if there’s any way to recover. I’m new to turning so any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks
DayTay

It sounds odd that the thread has worn that much. I have seen the lathes of pros who have used them all day every day for years and that thread doesn't wear out. Could you simply have the wrong sized faceplate?

It sounds odd that the thread has worn that much. I have seen the lathes of pros who have used them all day every day for years and that thread doesn't wear out. Could you simply have the wrong sized faceplate?

The Myford lathes had very soft spindles but I'd also be very surprised and kind of impressed if it had worn out completely!

Thanks, it is the correct face plate as two supplied with different sizes. There is still some thread but very worn so it may be I need to locate a new face plate. The outboard one is hardly used so ok. I’ve also ordered a screw chuck so hopefully this will fit 😬.
Thanks again

Hi all, screw Chuck arrived and fits ok, there is sufficient thread on the shaft to hold it. Now on the look out for a replacement face plate to suit which is 1” x 12tpi if anyone has one to sell.
Thanks
Dave

Back