Problems Starting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a problem recently and posted that my bandsaw wouldn’t start. I had some helpful replies and changed the start capacitor. It still didn’t solve the problem entirely. Yesterday my tablesaw wouldn’t start either, tried the tripped out. I have motor MCB’s. . My workshop is unheated 2 degrees at the moment, apart from a directional infra- red heater. Two much of a coincidence so I put a fan heater under the table saw pointed at the motor and then pointed at the bearings. After 10 mins it started. Perhaps cold grease?
Wonder if anyone else has experienced the same ? Geoff

Got the same thing with my compressor. Every winter its a PIA, no problem with bandsaw, planer and lathe.... so far!

had it with a scroll saw. striped and serviced the motor, no more issues. build up of sawdust and grease in all the wrong places.

Cold grease will certainly require more start up torque than warm but 2C doesnt seem cold enough for the grease to reach its pour point though? depends on the grease. Most greases are ok to around -10C
Moisture from humidity in the grease will exacerbate the viscosity problem at cold temperatures especially if its been below freezing and then warmed a little.

Might be worth just changing your lubricants for purposes of maintenance anyway.
If you're sure the cold and grease is a problem then replace with a grease with a PAO content... Polyalphaofin (from memory) they are designed to work in colder temps...

I would be surprised if temperature were the issue. I don't have a table saw or bandsaw but today I used my old contractor's saw and cheapo sliding compound mitre saw with no problems. My workshop is unheated and it was -20C or so.

I think the problem is anything drawing a high current. Routers, track saw etc don’t have a problem. I’m not sure if some start capacitors have a problem at low temperatures? It seems thst 3 completely different machines suffer the same problem. I think I will investigate further. Maybe a strip and clean. Geoff

Back