problem with Delta 2 speed 16" scroll saw!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefano

Reaction score
hello all,

I have a Delta 2 speed scroll saw that has been acting up. Essentially it won't start sawing without me giving it a 'kick start' by pulling the arm up and down, then it works fine.

I tried relaxing the blade tension, in case that was the problem - but no.

I read from a 2012 post someone mentioned lubricating bronze bushes (?) does anyone know if that could be the problem here and, then, how to get at the bushes??

thank you, stefano

Since it is a 2 speed rather than variable speed it will have a capacitor (usually mounted on the side of motor) and that is the most likely culprit.

Phill

Looking at the exploded view online, the start capacitor is located in the panel behind the control switches.

It's an 8µF capacitor which shouldn't cost you more than about 4 quid.

It's Part #86 in this pic ...

40-560_Type_2_WW.gif

The only problem you might encounter is the difference in physical dimensions of the new capacitor, which may entail mounting it remotely elsewhere on the machine... no biggy.

thank you all for your help - I read before somewhere that the capacitor might be at fault.

I'll have a go!

regards, Stefano

capacitor.png
hello Naz,

I have taken out exisiting capacitor and it is 3µF x 400V AC capacitor - about 22mm diameter x 40mm long - Maplins don't have these and ebay UK sellers have rectangular capacitors.

Maplins suggested I try amazon, but there are many variations - could you please suggest a suitable one??!!

thank you, Stefano

Attachments

• capacitor.png
    capacitor.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 994
Back