Scroll saw speed control

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwa

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning blokes, just about to buy an old Delta 2 speed scroll saw and I was thinking about adding some type of speed controller. Does any one know if this particular 2 speed motor lends itself to speed control and if so what type of control is available out there these days. I've been out of the electrical game for a few years now and things have changed significantly from when I was working. Had a quick look at the wiring diagram and it seems to be a 2 winding motor and a change over switch so is this type of ac induction motor condusive with speed control. I would have stuck an inverter in the circuit for a 3ph motor but not sure what to do with 1ph. Would a small vfd work? All ideas welcome😊

I always thought that adding a speed variant to an established 240v motor caused all kinds a trouble from low HP to overheating.....or both at the same time.....
is the 2 speed so wrong....?
I had a 240v motor on a single speed bandsaw....it was easier just to change the pulley size than mess with an electronic vari drive add on.....
times have changed tho, so who knows.....

Thanks for the info, I knew that capacitor start/run motors were difficult to alter running speed, but as I said, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since I finished work and I just wondered if since the invention of digital electronic control, a new method of speed control had turned up on the scene.

Back