Problem fitting new blade to circular saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make sure the blade is of correct thickness for the saw aswell. I bought 1.5mm blades to find my saw would not grip them as they needed to be at least 2mm. I got round it with a big penny washer.

Unless the insert is greatly thicker than the blade it is unlikely to be the problem. The general rule with machinery that has a clamping arrangement on a disc or wheel is that the cheek plates/flanges that clamp the disc/wheel will each be recessed by the same amount so they grip towards the outer diameter of the plates/flanges, grinding wheel flanges are a classic example.

Try removing the blade and assemble the flanges tighten the fixing nut by hand and look to see how close the plate/flanges are to touching each other you should be able to see if the gap between them looks narrower than the blade, if they touch or are very close then the clamping of the blade will be okay.

If all seems okay you could try securing the shaft and with a gloved hand try to rotate the blade. Or trap the blade with a piece of wood against the teeth and try turning the shaft. Obviously disconnect the power supply first :oops:

Regards
Keith

Myfordman":3loemwf1 said:
It does not matter a toss if it loose

If it is loose surely it won't be concentric, which means it'll take a deeper cut and a lighter cut with each revolution. That doesn't sound like a good thing.

custard":baxopc85 said:
Myfordman":baxopc85 said:
It does not matter a toss if it loose

If it is loose surely it won't be concentric, which means it'll take a deeper cut and a lighter cut with each revolution. That doesn't sound like a good thing.
Within reason the fit of the insert in the blade is not important. For example if it were .5 mm smaller in diameter than the hole in the blade that would be of concern and would make it difficult to assemble the blade on the shaft, I am sure nobody would try to fit it.

Inserts are normally an interference fit needing a tap to insert or they can be a hand push fit even a slight slide fit will not cause problem with concentricity.
regards
Keith

Back