probably the most expensive shoulder plane in the world?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the seller does say...

This is also a reverse auction. I will lower the price sporadically until a lucky buyer pulls the trigger, or I decide to buy it back myself. I'm already close.

But note the import charges! $334.01

Oh no why did you have to post a link? :x I thought I could have it for a song but now everyone knows it's there my chances of owning such a fine paper weight are ruined!

Just thought I'd let you know, I have a rather nice rebate plane - I don't mind it being used as a paperweight and I can make it as expensive as you like!

Cheerio,

Carl

n0legs":5pkcn20r said:
Mad Bad Pete makes better.

I did actually contact the seller and tell him that usermade shoulder planes were almost 10 a penny (that I have 2 very useable ones) and that one person I know of has knocked one out in only a couple of days and without a full on machine shop either, so apart from the ivory, as they say "it ain't all that".

He didn't reply...

JohnPW":mkuffter said:
probably the most expensive shoulder plane in the world?

Maybe, if it sold at that price. Otherwise it's just an asking price.

Yeah - the semantic (and numeric) difference between "worth" and "asking price" is important, and often large.

BugBear

Tip for searching ridiculous prices is to click on the "completed listings" box on the left. Then click used condition to weed out the out of stock new items, then sort highest price first and you will see there are very few items sold, especially the Buy it Now ones. Even then the bidding could be fake, look for sellers with a low feedback count.

I think most of the high prices are paid by dealers.

RogerP":2ufcxyen said:

The seller mentions that the plane came from a family of shipwrights based in Portsmouth. If that's Portsmouth, Hants then, as I understand it, all the seller has to write on the package is "repatriated goods" and all import duties are waived, as import tax has already been paid in the other direction. Hopefully someone will come along who is more knowledgeable on this subject.

Not that I'd pay £775 for a pretty bog standard user made shoulder plane! :D

JohnPW":3raunm3p said:
I think most of the high prices are paid by dealers.

...who obviously have customers who will pay not only "that price", but a dealer profit margin on top.

Otherwise the dealers would rapidly go out of business.

I noted (in another place) an American Dealer called Patrick Leach often
being thought to have bid "too much" on items are various physical auctions.

25 years later, Patrick Leach is still in business.

BugBear

Plumberpete":137j08d0 said:
RogerP":137j08d0 said:

The seller mentions that the plane came from a family of shipwrights based in Portsmouth. If that's Portsmouth, Hants then, as I understand it, all the seller has to write on the package is "repatriated goods" and all import duties are waived, as import tax has already been paid in the other direction. Hopefully someone will come along who is more knowledgeable on this subject.

Not that I'd pay £775 for a pretty bog standard user made shoulder plane! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth,_New_Hampshire

I'd guess maybe not #-o

Back