Primary colour wood dye/stains

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auldfart2010

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going Google blind looking for coloured stain or dye that I can use for toys etc. There are tons of natural wood colours but very little in the way of primary colours. Is water based more likely to fade compared to spirit based? I'm on a tight budget and will only be using it on a casual basis. Is 100ml bottle enough for small projects?

I was looking for the same thing and came across people using watered down acrylic paint as stain. I tried it and it worked great. You need to water it down quite a bit and I would recommend testing on samples. I applied two coats of this stain to get this effect on Birch Plywood. It's nice as you can still see the grain. Then finished with a water based acrylic varnish from screwfix's no nonsense range.

Examples:
https://www.plant-stands.co.uk/colour

1665738418652.png

I was looking for the same thing and came across people using watered down acrylic paint as stain. I tried it and it worked great. You need to water it down quite a bit and I would recommend testing on samples. I applied two coats of this stain to get this effect on Birch Plywood. It's nice as you can still see the grain. Then finished with a water based acrylic varnish from screwfix's no nonsense range.

Examples:
https://www.plant-stands.co.uk/colour

View attachment 145399

My process:
Sanded wood to 180.
Apply first coat of stain.
Sand lightly to remove raised grain.
Second coat of stain.
First coat fo varnish
Lightly sand using Mirka Miron pads
Final coat of varnish.

There was a thread her in a similar vein a couple of weeks ago - I suggested the Village Green range of water-based woodstains from A.G.Woodcare at Bidford-on-Avon - available in very small quantities and pretty inexpensive. I used 3 or 4 colours for a "pallet art" project with excellent results (it was for outdoors so sealed with a couple of generous coats of yach varnish)

Did you find something actually?
If you are in search of a similar product, I can suggest checking stains at General Finishes. They do color-matching and it is possible to design your own color. You can also address a general finishes customer service via this site for more details if interested.
Hope it helps and you will find what you are looking for there.

Back