Stain/Dye

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings from Canada
Without boring anyone with my current project I’ll just jump right in.
Does anyone know of a product that will stain or dye wood completely through?
I’m using toothpicks (birch) and when I cut them I need the wood to be stained a darker colour.
Please dont suggest painting. Too many to deal with at around 5000.
Thanks

John

I suggest you try a Spirit based dye as they tend to sink deeper into the wood whereas water based dyes tend to sit on the surface. Don't know if it's available in Canada but I get good results with Rustin's spirit Dye.

I have beena furniture restorer for 45 years and I am afraid that I must disagree with ps.harris80. Rustins is an "Oil" based stain. i.e. thinned with white spirits etc. Spirit stains are usually powder dissolved in methylated spirits. Spirit stains do fade much more than water stains. Water stains penetrate more. I believe the "pressure pot" route is more likely to suceed and I would use water stains.

I have beena furniture restorer for 45 years and I am afraid that I must disagree with ps.harris80. Rustins is an "Oil" based stain. i.e. thinned with white spirits etc. Spirit stains are usually powder dissolved in methylated spirits. Spirit stains do fade much more than water stains. Water stains penetrate more. I believe the "pressure pot" route is more likely to suceed and I would use water stains.

Personally I have found the spirit based dye penetrates much deeper than the water based equivalent which seems to just sit on the surface like paint.

Spirit is the term used by Rustin's on their website no mention of it being oil based.

Back