"Pre-finishing" sheet materials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy*miller

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed that I'm peppering the forum with questions at the moment without really giving anything back, but if I ever can contribute I will! In the meantime, many thanks.

Is it good practice to "pre-finish" sheet materials before cutting them up? I'm not thinking of final coats, but if I sand and prime a full (or part) sheet of MDF, say, I think that would be much quicker than doing it when it's in lots of pieces ready to assemble. Have I missed something? Will it wreck my blades or cause other problems?

It depends so much what kind of project you are working on.

Personally I do final finishing to inside surfaces of cabinets before assembling. I feel this is more suitable solution for me instead of trying to reach all inside corners of assembled cabinet and try archive good finishing quality.

I don't think pre-finishing will wreck up your blades or at least there is no noticeable difference of blade wearout . Sometimes very hard finished surface (very hard paint or varnish etc.) could crack littler bit on the edge when cutting sheets somewhat dull blade...

Back