Powering a "new" tormek

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was feeling very flush last week. Whipped by wallet out and bought a "tormek" at an auction last week.

Only minor drawback is that t it appears to a retro drill powered antique.

Looks similar to this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=st+25 ... aEVftxM%3A

I don't have the original drill shaft accessory so though it would be interesting if I could somehow attach a motor to the thing.

The motor will need to be low RPM (output between 100-150 rpm) and high torque.

Problems are:

1) where do I get a suitable motor for a reasonable price? I am not too clued up on electrical motors. The motor need to be enough powerful to handle the friction of pressing the blades against the stone

2) once I have the motor how do I transfer the power to the tormek to get the best performance? I think tormeks use a wheel against a wheel but could pulleys be used for less slippage?

You don't need a lot of torque since you don't press hard on the wheel but slow speed will be a problem. Probably best is to use a standard 1400rpm motor and some pulleys or gears to slow the speed which will have the added benefit of increasing torque anyway.

Did exactly that with exactly the same machine! One of our neighbours was throwing out an old boiler and it had a 1/8th HP fan motor of about the right size and a 1/4" shaft, about the same as the original that fitted in the drill. Bodged up a mounting for it but the weight of the motor was insufficient to provide drive, so it has an old upholstery spring which pulls the motor against the original rubber drive wheel. Works fine with, sometimes, a bit of help starting as the stone has a lot of inertia. It's been on there in regular use for at least a decade. Could post some pics if anyone is interested.
(But it certainly wouldn't pass PAT!~)@

I did have one of these years ago
if you have the holder for the drill but just missing the spindle its only a length of 8mm steel
Next problem is its a bit of a screamer whilst using it with a drill
I put a pulley on the shaft and rigged up a small 1/4 hp motor running at 1400 rpm and it worked well
gear it so the stone turns at 200-300 rpm

Ian

LuptonM":36cmivwv said:
Hi all,

Was feeling very flush last week. Whipped by wallet out and bought a "tormek" at an auction last week.

Only minor drawback is that t it appears to a retro drill powered antique.

Looks similar to this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=st+25 ... aEVftxM%3A

I don't have the original drill shaft accessory so though it would be interesting if I could somehow attach a motor to the thing.

The motor will need to be low RPM (output between 100-150 rpm) and high torque.

Problems are:

1) where do I get a suitable motor for a reasonable price? I am not too clued up on electrical motors. The motor need to be enough powerful to handle the friction of pressing the blades against the stone

2) once I have the motor how do I transfer the power to the tormek to get the best performance? I think tormeks use a wheel against a wheel but could pulleys be used for less slippage?

Go to the Tormek forum (http://www.tormek.com/forum/index.php). Make your post and ask Ken S (the moderator). He will help you. Tormek closely monitor the forum and a chap called Stig (from Tormek) may be in touch to connect you with whoever may have parts. Brimarc is the UK distributor and they just replaced a part in my Tormek although it is a T7 and not as old as the one you're discussing. In the main, Tormek are good at solving technical problems like this and many of their machines are backwardly compatible so you've got a reasonable chance of success if you follow my advice. Ken S....nice bloke :) We wont hold the fact he's American against him :)

Back