Powered respirators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinken

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all i am looking for a powered respirator such as the trend airsheild or pwrcap

around the 200 pounds mark is the budget, anyone have any reccomendations?

Will be used for turning eventually and powered sanding and some routing

Cheers

If you can get along to a show or shop that sells the Trend Airshield, then I advise you go and try is on. Some people (me included) don't like them. But others do and I think it represents the best value for money.

Myself and a friend looked at both at the Scottish Woodworking Show in March and I though the Trend was ok but a little top heavy but the powercap with its material was lighter but harder to clean. I do very little turning so I would probably go for the Trend but my mates mainly a turner whos 6ft4 and he thought the Trend would give you neck ache when turning so he thought the Powercap was better. Best option is to go to a show and try both on. It depends how you stand, how tall you are and what height your lathe is set. Only you know your stance when turning so opinions aren't a lot of use with that I'm afraid.

Thanks mate, looks quite hefty though i may go with the pwercap

shinken":9zwq3lg8 said:
Thanks mate, looks quite hefty though i may go with the pwercap

Just make sure it is the Powercap IP version for turning and be aware that the filtration level is lower than the Trend, personally having put both through a reasonably representative use trial I found the Powercap did not give me a good enough filtration level and the new Trend was top heavy enough to put me off buying one.
Eventually I bit the bullet for something half as much again in cost.

ive just replaced my airshield mk1 (which died) with a powercap and i quite like it - its lighter as a consequence of having the battery on your belt rather than your head - but you do need to be careful of the trailing wire. (catching that in the chuck would not be a good day out ! ) i run it undrr my smock to avoid that.

tht said i believe blister has an unused / new trend airshield mk 2 for sale as part of his great migration so you could do worse than zap him a pm.

I have a Powercap Lite and and old Turbovisor. They are both good in different ways. The Turbovisor has a lift-up face shield, and that can be handy when you want a closer look at what you have just done, or need to cough!

The Powercap Lite is fixed, but lighter and quieter. But it's not so easy to clean, as it's built on a baseball cap, and you know how mucky they can get.

My uncle Tom has just been given a Trend Airshield and loves it. Only today was he telling me that his vision is completely unimpaired.

Best advice, try a few out. Yes, I know, easier said than done.
S

I have a powercap - my workshop basement has a ceiling that is only just clear of my head - and it's been an excellent device - comfy and easy to wear (over a beard and glasses) - and it's only at clear-up after a lot of sanding when I realise how much dust I have generated elsewhere that isn't up my nose! Definitely worth a try ...

Cheers

Toby

In this day an age of H & S you would think there would be more stress put on the need for this equipment.

I would have thought that schools etc. would insist that pupils used these at all times.

If there was more publicity for this equipment perhaps the market would have had more competition, supply and better prices for what afterall is only a bit of plastic and a cheap motor.

Schools tend to go for group protection in workshops so install extractor systems at each lathe. At the college I worked in and one I attended for woodturning classes there were very efficient extractor systems that everyone hated because as soon as they were turned on they sucked all the warm air out of the room and were noisier than the lathes. In the adult class I attended people had personal protection so the extractor was seldom used.

However, despite being advised about respiratory protection, I wonder how many school-leavers who enter a woodworking trade buy a respirator?

I find the pricing of these things on the phenomenal side. I was lucky enough to pick up a powercap from a car boot for 15 quid and find it pretty effective and nice and light.

Nothing that couldn't be done with an RC battery and charger, a pc fan, a piece of plastic, foam, some cable, a switch, filters to whatever spec you want and a hot melt glue gun and a few tiny scraps of ply for about £20 and an hour of time.

So perhaps someone here could design one and put the plans up here.
An industrial helmet would be my starting point.
My helmet has a fabric shield below the chin level and a perspex type face shield.

BTW, I have the Triton respirator I purchased on one of those aussie visits, not available in the EU.

waterhead37":3uk185wt said:
The Powercap has a powerful fan and cools the face nicely. I like it better than a Racal I had which died on me.

Perhaps someone would be interested in converting you Racal if its lying around?

Just heard about this potential bargin on the grape vine. Looks like a cheaper priced Powercap to me. Have a look. At £131.87 inc vat its a lot cheaper than either of the others.

p111dom":3913hu2s said:
Just heard about this potential bargin on the grape vine. Looks like a cheaper priced Powercap to me. Have a look. At £131.87 inc vat its a lot cheaper than either of the others.

Just be aware that it has little or no impact protection, filtration level of TH1P spec is below that recomended (TH2P) for MDF etc. (mainly due to risk of inward leakage if battery is low and you breath in deeply I believe)
But any mask is better than non of course.

Trumpet":5qtbt8ew said:
I find the pricing of these things on the phenomenal side. I was lucky enough to pick up a powercap from a car boot for 15 quid and find it pretty effective and nice and light.

Nothing that couldn't be done with an RC battery and charger, a pc fan, a piece of plastic, foam, some cable, a switch, filters to whatever spec you want and a hot melt glue gun and a few tiny scraps of ply for about £20 and an hour of time.

Could I order one, please? :wink:

How well do these work with beards? I've just finished a couple of hours moulding ash and have a definite sore throat.

Back