Powered chiseler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
Hi chaps

Not sure what they are called but need to buy a big tool!

My lad has just bought a house that is a bit of a wreck.
He has had a detailed survey done and the surveyor confirmed my opinion that as lot of pebble dash render needs to come off. It's a truely bad state but I think the bricks work underneath is basically ok.
I think once off a power wash wil pretty much clean the brick so I can point it up.

So what I want is essentially a power bolster
I think I want a sds drill but know FA about them.
My thinking is as there are other fairly big jobs in front of us a decent one will be a good investment for heavy duty drill jobs
I have pretty much every tool under the sun for light weight work but need something with a bit of power for this house

Recommendations please.

We had to do the same

and if its stuck as good as it was on our house, its going to be a hard job

This is my SDS - which has been the best ever tool buy
Untitled by Chris, on Flickr

end here my son chiseling off the rendering
Untitled by Chris, on Flickr

I bought the Titan breaker from Screwfix a few years ago to remove a reinforced concrete slab. It made short work of the job, but I don't think it's practical to wield horizontally at hip height for any length of time.

Regarding small SDS drills, I'm fond of my Wickes Professional (it's basically a Kress and came with a 5-year warranty) but it will not have enough grunt to hack off render unless it's really blown.

I would say a SDS+ at the heavier end of the spectrum or light SDSmax would be suitable. As for specific brands, the more experienced posters will point you in the right direction.

Mark

Chris
Thanks for that.
The render is only up to chest height and much fell off when I poked it a bit, my plan is to have it all off as soon as we get the keys as I am convinced it's the cause of a damp problem.

So that's the tool I need then.
All I need now is a recommendation for which one.
Brand wise and model wise.

FWIW, I'd just hire one for a weekend, it'll only cost you around £40 to hire. Not worth a £300+ investment for a decent brand like the Makita or Bosch on a one off job.

MMUK":3pricegf said:
FWIW, I'd just hire one for a weekend, it'll only cost you around £40 to hire. Not worth a £300+ investment for a decent brand like the Makita or Bosch on a one off job.

I would agree but I envision about 2 years worth of Jobs that could benefit from a powerful tool.
And then the other son will be getting on the housing market.

As a builder, mine take quite a hammering, My first decent SDS was a Makita and we wore out the chuck after about 4 years and a couple of very heavy projects involving demolition of substantial stone walls, I needed one in a hurry and bought a DeWalt which is still going strong and will see me out. Still haven't got around to replacing the Makita chuck :oops: :lol:

My brother has had a couple of cheapies which lasted no time at all so not for me but I do know someone who bought from Aldi, 3 years warranty and has had it replaced twice so far FOC :wink: :lol:

They have other uses btw. I've recently cut down a number of sizeable hawthorn trees and the stumps are a real b****** to get out. I sharpened an old 1" sds chisel and it does a good job cutting through thick roots below soil level where I can't use a chainsaw.

cheers
Bob

A friend of mine bought one from screwfix, in a box for £100.oo a year ago, I thought it would be cr*p.
Not a bit of it, he is renovating a big stone house, uses it most days, sometimes all day, drills, chisels, 4" corebits, all sorts.
I've got a £400.. kango, and this Titan is just as good.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb280d ... 230v/67819
Gone up in price, I see, but looks the same.
Regards Rodders

OK bit of advise

yes the cheap ones will last - that for sure

but do not be fooled - its all about the impact per second

look at the difference between a Gbp 80 screw fix one at only 8j per sec and a Gbp 300 metabo with 400j per sec

THAT IS WHY YOU GO WITH THE BETTER ONES . and make sure it has hammer action and drill function

i bought mine about 5 years ago - used and my brother in law who is a builder likes mine one over his dealt and Makita as it has a very high impact. that is what makes light work

I bought a Bosch 550 W Corded SDS Rotary Hammer Drill (PBH 2100 RE) from B&Q.

This was after trying to remove a bricked in fireplace with a bolster chisel and a lump hammer...and getting no where.

With the SDS drill I made quick work of it.

I've used it to drill into brick work too and it worked fine.

Only negative point is the depth stop is plastic and not particularly sturdy...

One point - make sure the tool you buy has a rotary stop. Some tools look the part but you can't switch the rotary action off. I couldn't find my Dewalt drill and borrowed my bil's big Bosch - it was fine as I only needed to drill, but to my surprise (it was bigger and heavier than the Dewalt) it had no rotary stop.

Im all for buying the best tool for the job but have to say the titan 15 kg breaker I brought a few years ago has been good. If it lasts for the whole of my house renovation (pretty sure it will) it will be one of the best £150 I've spent on tools. I wasnt convinced at first when I tried it but I quickly found that varying the speed on different concretes makes a big difference to the way they break.

Fwiw

I bought a Bosch GBH 4 DFE; it has saved me time worth many times the cost. I wonder if one of those tile removing bits like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-sds-plu ... tid=175079

Might not get render off fairly well. Mine took off bathroom tiles well - but also took the plaster off the other side of the wall :oops:

I've even used the wood chisel bits in mine; they were handy for some big mortices when making gallows brackets. Not a cabinet making tool though :lol:

I've got 6 sds drills. Two Titan one 5kg one 15kg two makita 3kg ones and a bosh 3kg one and a battery bosh. And although I use makita every thing. You can't beat the bosch sds! I'm a plumber/builder and the bosch takes my vote. Was only around 100/120 and it's 2.5 years old now and it's going strong and we chiseled all the plaster off this inside of my house and the render off the out side and it's still sweet! Can't beat bosch for an sds+ drill. P

The best lightweight SDS+ for me has to be my 18v Makita. It makes light work of everything from frame fixing to tile removal. I bought it naked for £120 from FFX about 12 months ago. I could not believe I'd been messing about with mains voltage drills for so long!

For heavier jobs I have an old Makita 17mm hex breaker. It's about 25 years old and has only needed two sets of brushes from new. It's as good as a Kango any day of the week.

Back