Powered air filter mask thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nautilus21

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so my old hand me down Racal airline looks like it's finally about to give up..... What do you recommend/use to replace it mainly for lathe work...

Oh and I know sharper tools and less dust would be better a but just, not skilled enough yet

I've got a secondhand 3M jobbie with the filter on a belt and tube up over the helmet into the front of the facemask - love it, though VERY pricey if bought new

The Trend is very good. I find it a bit bulky when moving around as the weight can change (and I've had a bit of a saga with the plastic headbands breaking). However, since I've owned one I've never not used it (i.e. I value my lungs over minor inconvenience), and for stationary lathe work it's absolutely fine.

If I had the cash I'd consider the 3M, but as noted, it is pricey.

I'v not had a problem with the headbands on Trend, mine's about four years old, perhaps the plastic has become brittle how old is yours?

Mike

MikeJhn":1tilprm1 said:
I'v not had a problem with the headbands on Trend, mine's about four years old, perhaps the plastic has become brittle how old is yours?

Mike
The original one (I forget how far back - it was grey; the original design I think) eventually snapped after many years of use. Since then they've been through at least two different black designs (I've had them all) and also had a manufacturing problem with a batch of the first black design. Suffice to say: it's been a bit of a saga, and no headband has lasted as long as the original grey design (one lasted precisely the time it took me to install, and snapped the instant I first used it). The latest design is in the helmet now, and touch... errr... plastic... it's holding up ok.

In that case, being only four years old, I suppose mine is of the latest design and seems to be holding up OK as well.

Mike

MikeJhn":1w5iwfrz said:
In that case, being only four years old, I suppose mine is of the latest design and seems to be holding up OK as well.

Mike
Unlikely I think - within the last four years I've had a few (at least two of the first black design), and just got (what I believe is) the latest design in the last few months. It's still black, but was a bit more fiddly to fit.

The good thing is that Trend's support is very good - they've always sent replacements out on fast courier delivery, for no charge, with no questions.

Point being: if yours is working fine, then you're fine :wink: (and my experience is that Trend will support you if/when it breaks)

I assume its the rear strap that is breaking on yours? My rear strap has the turn knob to tighten the head adjustment, is this what you have now?

Mike

MikeJhn":124zse8y said:
I assume its the rear strap that is breaking on yours? My rear strap has the turn knob to tighten the head adjustment, is this what you have now?

Mike
The original grey model didn't have the articulated joints (in the area behind your ears), and eventually snapped due to fatigue in that region.

The first black design did have the articulated section, but snapped after a short time near the join - there was apparently a manufacturing fault. If I recall correctly, the replacement lasted a fair bit longer but then the tiny stud at the top that allows you to adjust the headband size failed. I'm pretty certain I then had another one go almost instantly, before ending up with the latest design - the fact they've had at least 3 revisions might hint at the presence of problems.

All the headbands I've had have had a rear knob for adjustment - though the latest design uses a different mechanism to the earlier models (I think all others shared the same knob) - not that I ever had a failure in that area.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that its appreciated, hopefully with the three re-designs they have sorted the problems.

Mike

I've just got the axminster evolution one for xmas - very happy with it.

MikeJhn":3rlstbtf said:
Thanks for taking the time to explain that its appreciated, hopefully with the three re-designs they have sorted the problems.

Mike
No worries.

TBH I think I prefer the original knob design vs the new one, and the way this new design fits into the mounting bolts is a bit of a pain, but so far it seems to be holding up.

Back