Power Feed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
are power feeds just for router \ spindle molder?
can you fit to a planer thicknesser?

Steve

They're a little fiddly on a planer but it is possible. You have to have the feed on the rear bed just behind the cutter block to achieve any sort of level of straightness as if you have it in front or on top of the cutter you will just plane a bow into your timber.

I remember seeing someone had made a jig to hold a 4" belt sander to the bed of his spindle moulder so he could use the attached powerfeed with the belt sander for sanding continuous lengths of beading, so you can get creative with it should you need to justify having one.

I don't do a huge amount of surface planing, but I find it quite hard work
maybe I am lacking in technique and suffer with vibration and therefor struggle with it
it was just a mad thought but a serious consideration

Steve

I tried it on mine. I went for it on the outfeed table. Hand feed until it takes it and Bob's your uncle. Bit of a faf to set up so not bothered again but if I had a big run of heavy timbers would probably do it.

I find feeders very handy on a tablesaw too. Especially so when doing many lineal feet of a certain width. Like when blanking out faceframe or rail and stile stock.

Yes have used a power feed on all machines. Used a felder combi machine so the power feed unit is mounted almost central and can be used on the planer, saw and spindle used it on all three when I had to machine old floorboards in to tounge and groove planed flooring. 40sqm worth :shock: :shock:

It certainly makes it easier especially with a keen labourer on the other end!

Adidat

Back