Posting cordless tools overseas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gui

Reaction score
I am back from D&M Tool Show where I got a combi drill driver that I am intending to give to my Dad as a birthday present. He lives in France so I was going to ship it by courrier. Even with the cost of shipping, I think it is still significantly cheaper than buying an equivalent model over there (in my experience tools tend to be expensive in France and the choice limited, at least compared to the UK).
However while browsing the web to find a good shipping deal just a few minutes ago, I have come to realise that lithium-ion batteries are a restricted - and for many couriers an altogether prohibited - item. It didn't cross my mind until now :roll:

By the way, it's a Milwaukee combi drill with two 18V battery packs (a 2Ah and a 4Ah), charger, a selection of drill bits. It's all neatly encased in a dense closed cell foam inside a tough toolbox that comes with it. The battery packs are in sealed in plastic bags inside the box.

Any courier recommendations / tips for sending this kind of tool to the continent ?

Thanks and Regards,
Guillaume

Thanks, I did see the version from Parcel Force which incidentally is worded almost the same, but with subtle changes like the use of the word "parcel" instead of "package" that kind of thing.
http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions
It looks like one plagiarised the other and I am not sure either is actually covering everything that the law allows. What I mean is that Royal Mail / Parcel Force could have decided they would not ship outside the UK Lithium Ion battery that come "with equipment" (as opposed to "in equipment") and presumably it is their right to do so. But looking at this for example:
http://www.tnt.com/content/dam/tnt_..._packaging/Transport_of_Lithium_Batteries.pdf
would suggest (UN 3481) that it is possible to do so provided the correct labelling / documentation is in place. Although I am still not entirely sure, as this document is not the clearest.
I'll dig further tomorrow (hammer)

I wouldn't risk sending anything with batteries , you risk your parcel being destroyed with no refund to you .
If a business has a trade type a/c with a courier they may have restrictions removed , so if you know anyone with a courier trade a/c you could ask them to send for you.

You could try phoning interparcel they are very helpfull .

I had a skirmish with Royal mail regarding Lipo batteries. They are prohibited. But it turns out they are ok if attached to the original equipment, so that may help you out.

Back