Milwaukee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a decent Combi Drill and an impact driver. I used a friends Milwaukee 18v stuff and was impressed but I dont know how it rates amongst its peers. With it I want a couple of decent batteries and a charger. I cant see myself needing more than 2 5AH batteries, but they do a kit with 4 3AH batteries. not sure if that is a better bet.

Milwaukee M18 FPP2A2 FUEL™ Gen 3 Twin Pack 2 x 5.0Ah Li-ion seems a good price compared with everywhere else.

Any thoughts or comments on either "My tool shed" as a supplier or alternative manufacturers? I dont have any other battery kit besides a 10.8V Bosch drill.

I have had 18v Milwaukee Fuel drill, standard impact and oil driver (3 tools) with 3 5 amp batteries for a few years. They have been excellent. Original impact driver was replaced due to faulty gear train. No hassle. Batteries are good.

I can’t speak for Milwaukee tools, but just last week picked up a 12v FlexiClick kit from MyToolShed and (like previous purchases) it was a pleasant experience and received very quickly...believe it was DHL courier 🚚 with text time slot delivery etc. 🤔

I've always used Bosch pro cordless tools. Last year Screwfix did a silly offer for an 18v drill/driver and 2 x 2 amp batteries so I bought 2 to replace my ageing 14v Ni-cad models and then replaced my corded jigsaw with an 18v model that was on special too with a 4 amp battery so I'm well covered now and very happy with battery life and build quality.
I looked at Milwaukee and they seem good value for money but I'm a bit of a brand Peach when I get something I like. I have noticed that most of the tyre fitting garages around where I live use Milwaukee impact drivers instead of pneumatic ones now, so they must be pretty reliable as they will get very heavy usage day after day.

I worked for about six years at a autodealership that dealt with mining vehicle kitouts (officially as a towtruck/delivery driver- but in the workshop on quiet days) and all the guys doing the mining 4x4 fitouts used Milwaukee or Dewalt exclusively- there was a bit of rivalry between the two camps, but both stood up to industrial usage very well
This was heavy duty drilling, grinding etc- lots of big holes in chassis and steel trays for mounting bullbars, toolboxes, towbars, spare tyre carriers and the like- so lots and lots of big holes in thick steel for the drills, and 1/2 impact drivers, grinders and the like...

A couple of the older guys still used air tools, but that restricted them to working in the bays only, where the leccy guys could work out in the yard
(thats where I actually got all my Dewalts from,one of the older guys was retiring and I bought his entire collection for a very good price, 10 years later, everything except the workshop radio/charger is still working perfectly, and the only reason the radio isn't is that I ran over it with the ute...)
:-(

I've already got some Milwaukee gear and just ordered the 1/2 Fuel impact gun....
before you buy check ebay Germany and Belgium.....shame we dont live in the US for pricing.....or buy there....
my gun is coming from Germany and is 1/2 the UK price...but I live within the Euro zone....
250euro's plus a small postage charge instead of £500.........
cant hurt to check and all my dealings with German suppliers pre Brexit was excellent, language is no barrier.....
I found that the difference is not quite Ford and RR but the Millwaukee is better made and feels good in the hand.....
Prior to this all my gear was Japanese, been let down by Bosch so won't have it in the place anymore, even domestic machines...
and I still like the Japanese quality.......

I have a DeWalt jigsaw, drill and impact driver. The impact driver is the newest and has had little use, but the other two are two or three years old. The sole plate of the jigsaw is fubar (it does have a fairly hard life) and so is the drill chuck. I think if were buying from scratch I'd look at Milwaukee.

Hi if buying Milwaukee have a look at SGS they sell their own branded stuff which is robust and reliable fir lots of workshops tasks but they put out news letters on a daily basis and they always seem to have bundle deals going. No idea how prices compare but must be worth a look!

Milwaukee impact drivers are said to be the best. I wanted an impact driver, went with the Milwaukee, and have not been disappointed.

Because i then had their batteries, i got the drill, which i dont use massively, but it does all that i ask of it, and ive had no issues with it at all.

I also have their M18 sawzall. I was amazed with that one quite how much i could brutalise on a 5ah charge! Its a vicious tool.

Milwaukee is expensive, but, if i was to buy again, id do exactly the same.

There are more heavy users of that stuff (Milwaukee Fuel) here than the UK, and by that, I mean truck mechanics and farms. They love the fuel stuff. They're abusive (farmers and truck mechanics) and generally will favor only whatever works fastest and holds up (at least to the extent what's available can do that).

Snapon tools has some ability to sell people here $500 tools for $1200 and make them feel good, but most of the adherents use Milwaukee fuel cordless stuff instead of the snapon stuff.

I still like the Japanese quality....... but most of what we presume to be Japanese isn't.
Makita make a special range of tools just for the Japanese market..They are maroon coloured rather than the standard Makita blue. Shame its just not economical to order from Japan.

I was open minded, but when I posted the Milwaukee was in the lead. I will order it tomorrow and should have I for the weekend.

I have looked on YouTube at a few comparison videos. Makita/Dewalt/Milwaukee all seem to have their fans, and all come out as top 3 in different comparisons. I have only see one comparison of the drills that included the Festool. I had already excluded this one based on price alone, but it did not perform well in the tests. That surprised me, the other Festool stuff that I have is very good- if it isnt best in test, it certainly wouldn't be far off the mark. the drill was beaten by most on test, excluding the very cheapest budget model.

Back