Possible veneer press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPSlick

Established Member
Reaction score
I came across this in a local auction. It has FORDPRESS34 written on it and has a heat control knob . Any information would be helpful as I have found nothing on google. Sorry about the small photo, there is a water pump sitting on top.

Attachments

• press.jpg
    press.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 226
I think it's what they use to vaccum seal food and stuff, the heat old be to do with the hot wire to seal the packets.

Adidat

I should have made clear the water pump is a separate item. The device has two flat plates, one of them heated, so not for food.

Looks a bit like what was known as a "dry mounting press" by photographers back in the day of fixing prints on to mounting card with a heat sensitive film. (There's the remains of a packet of the film somewhere in the loft. Which is no help whatsoever.)
But since the adhesive on the film was obviously hot-melt of some sort, it should make a good veneer press within its size limits.

I've seen that press in a picture library - with the same explanation as dickm
Matt

Excellent spot. There is woodworking tools and old photography gear either side of it. May risk a few quid on it.

Not being able to see the thing properly it could be another item used by photographers, once the image had been developed and fixed onto the paper the sheet would then have been placed image down onto a highly glazed sheet on steel, they would have then clamped the assembly down and rubbed it with a hard roller to remove all air bubbles, when the print was dry it the glossy sheet of steel would impart a glossy surface to the print.

Andy

Definitely a dry mounting press and if it's working, still worth a few bob as they are still in use in many studios. The device that Andy refers to would be a print dryer/glazer and was a different shape, with a slightly domed top.

Before I retired we had one that sold on eBay for over £300 to a studio in France. Shipping was a similar cost which the buyer sorted out, so it was obviously worth it to him. That was a big one though, for 20" x 16" prints.

regards

Brian

So I got it for £10 and discovered the water pump was brand new and sells on ebay for £85 so should make a nice profit. When I tested the press only the right hand side was heating, it should be okay as it's still a good size but if anybody has any ideas about repairs I'd be glad to hear about them.

Latest posts

Back