Help with Axminster AW10BSB2 table saw - stuck blade - help!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tried changing the blade on the above machine I bought but the nut is completely stuck. I have tried WD40, heat gun, etc etc but no joy. The manual (found online) refers to a 'Tommy bar' which didn't come with the machine so tried a metal rod and also screwdriver but it just will not move not matter what. A local carpenter came round to help (who has a workshop) and says it makes no sense as it is rock solid. Any suggestions, please

as in going on fact it's left handed but still not moving - did try other way just in case but no movement.

Looking at your manual

1679426236624.png

It is left handed but the tommy bar just holds the shaft whilst you undo the nut, so get something that fits into that hole and a decent large wrench rather than the tin spanner provided and lay rags or something over the blade to give you some protection and then looking at the blade pull on the tommy bar whilst pushing on your wrench and maybe have your weetabix first but there is no reason for it not to undo, just a mater of exerting a big force.

Or, clamp the blade with a pair of Mole grips, then apply spanner to nut. I have a Wadkin where the tommy bar insertion points have rounded out. The Mole wheeze works every time. Obviously, do't over tighten the Moles and cause blade damage.

I need to get a Tommy bar - didn't come with the saw - didn't get far with googling and not sure if Axminster still sell them if anyone knows where I` can get one for this saw. just managed to slice my thumb open open on blade so have retired injured to the pavilion for the evening

A large screwdriver will do, just anything that fits the hole and is long enough to exert some force, there's nothing magical about a tommy bar!

A large screwdriver will do, just anything that fits the hole and is long enough to exert some force, there's nothing magical about a tommy bar!
~Thanks - that used to work on my last table saw - but not getting far with this one. Tried screwdriver in the hole but doesn't seem to hold and slips out. will try again tomorrow but no joy so far. used to be able to do this one my last one but this is rock solid

Hi,
if you can lock the spindle from behind the blade,not sure if that’s possible but if you can this method should work. Try to lock the spindle on the back of the blade , being careful not to damage anything behind there like the motor or drive. Make sure you know which direction the blade comes off or you will simply tighten it further. Take a piece of of wood and place against the teeth of the blade and hit with a hammer in the direction to remove. It will be tight as the blade has over tightened due to jamming when cutting probably. This happens regularly with steel cutting discs in grinders and I have used this method loads of times when I was working. Once you have it off I recommend a very light smear of copper grease both sides of the blade and the thread to make for easier removal in future. As the spinning motion self tightens blades there won’t be a problem of the blade coming loose and it will be easier to remove next time because you have the copper grease on.
Regards,
Dave

Last edited:
I need to get a Tommy bar - didn't come with the saw - didn't get far with googling and not sure if Axminster still sell them if anyone knows where I` can get one for this saw. just managed to slice my thumb open open on blade so have retired injured to the pavilion for the evening
Give Axminster a call. I have always found them helpful.
Even if they don’t have spare Tommy bars, they might tell you the size so you can source a steel bar from elsewhere.

Tommy bar should be around 8mm, the hole is not very deep so it needs to be a good loose fit, once you have found one pineapple the spanner with a big hammer to shock it off

Another option is to put a long screwdriver across the opening that can fit into one of the saw blade gullets. As it is a left hand thread this will prevent the blade rotating, and because it is 5" from the arbour the leverage on the screwdriver is small. Worst case is the blade slips which would show you have a very odd issue with the nut on the arbour.

I have tried changing the blade on the above machine I bought but the nut is completely stuck. I have tried WD40, heat gun, etc etc but no joy. The manual (found online) refers to a 'Tommy bar' which didn't come with the machine so tried a metal rod and also screwdriver but it just will not move not matter what. A local carpenter came round to help (who has a workshop) and says it makes no sense as it is rock solid. Any suggestions, please
Hang in there Rob-H. Machines don't have Mothers and Fathers, they will listen to you.
Is there any sign of rust on the bit of shaft sticking out from the nut. If so, give it a good dose of penetrating oil and leave overnight.
If no rust, is there a chance that the nut has been cross-threaded. Only brute force will move it. You may find this is the case if impact is not moving it.
Best of luck.

Thank you all. Mixed response from Axminster over last two days when I asked about spares for the machine and details of sizes of a couple of missing parts. One super helpful chap, a couple of less than interested tech people. Shame. Anyway, finally off with a combination of different elements of all of your advice! Much appreciated as ever !!

Latest posts

Back