Portable table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking for some advice on purchasing a new table saw. I currently have a Ryobi 1825 and am looking to upgrade to a better model. The only problem is that the new saw has to be easily transportable as it will be required on site.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the new Dewalt 745, Bosch GTS 10 or Makita 2704. Does anybody have experience with these?

Any help/comments appreciated.

Cheers

Karl

Hi there,

I've just bought the Bosch (only had it just over 24hrs). I'm very impressed with it so far - it's only needed minor tweaking to get everything square and parallel. I ruled the DeWalt out as it doesn't have a very wide fence. The Bosch won over the Makita as it has a slightly bigger table and the deal from Axminster with stand and Angle Measurer seemed pretty good (sadly the offer has changed now to a Skil Jigsaw).

I quite like the crown guard although I imagine it could get a bit annoying as you get a bit of resistance just as the material goes under. However, it is far enough back from the blade to allow it to be brought back to fence (if required).

I've not used the other two or even seem them close up, however, I'm quite happy with this saw. I wish it had the Makita's soft start though it has quite a kick!

Edit: Just remembered the other minor annoyance - no port at the top for dust extraction. I was looking at it before to see if it could be added - it looks feasible.

Cheers
David

David

Thanks for that.

Just a quick question - is the profile of the mitre track rectangular or inverted T shape? If rectangular, what are the dimensions - ie will an Osborne or Incra aftermarket mitre gauge fit?

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl,

It's almost a rectangle with a slight ridge on the bottom edge (does this make it a squashed T? :wink: ). I'll have to measure it tomorrow night (it's about 3/4" but I think will be metric as it is a very metric saw").

There was a thread on the forum discussing this if you search for GTS 10, however, I don't think there was an answer posted.

Cheers
David

Hi Karl,

Please see a drawing below of the T slot (drawn as it sits in the table) - I measured the actual slider rather than trying to measure the slot. I think you can say it is probably a 20mm slot going off these dimensions...

T%20slot.jpg

Hope this helps, cheers
David

Thanks David - it helps, but isn't good news. Basically, aftermarket mitre gauges won't fit :(

I am pretty sure that they are all of rectangular section, with a 3/4 by 3/8 section.

Cheers

Karl

If you measure the slot it should be 3/4" wide and 3/8" deep at least thats what most of the US stuff is made to fit anyway as far as I know.

I didn't really look at that when I bought my Elektra Beckum TS250 and it has a larger than standard slot. Thats the only downside as its a very well built powerful saw take a look at one they are now re-badged as Metabo TS 250. Got mine for £499 with stand and extract pipes.

A few months ago I went to axminster, in the showroom they have a few of those portable saw, I was very impressed by the Makita 2704, I used to owne a triton workcentre 2000 which is a impresive machine the only problem is the lack of Blade Tilt, But Strong fence a quite good protactor lots of accesoriers but at the end a bit overpriced :shock:

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies.

After a bit of deliberating, I have decided to go for the ......

Triton workcentre - I know, not on the original list.

But i've done some searching on this site, and it looks just the job for me. I've already got the saw from B&Q - £112.50 for the 9 1/2 " model :D . But couldn't get my mitts on one of those routers - couldn't even persuade the manager to let me have the display model, which was the only one left.... :(

I will be ordering the workcentre and a couple of extra's from triton tools tomorrow. All in, with the dust bag, it should come to around £350 and has upgrade potential - router table next on the list.

Cheers for all your input.

Karl

i have the gts 10 as well had it for a while it is quite nice but the slide out table extension as u see on the other ones i dont see them for the UK version
what is a shame and personally i would also like to get a miter fence thing as well

there was one from the US meant to be good says some of the users here.. dunno weather it fits

karlley":3osbs495 said:
Hi all

I am looking for some advice on purchasing a new table saw. I currently have a Ryobi 1825 and am looking to upgrade to a better model. The only problem is that the new saw has to be easily transportable as it will be required on site.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the new Dewalt 745, Bosch GTS 10 or Makita 2704. Does anybody have experience with these?

Any help/comments appreciated.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl,

Have you seen the JET Site Saw.

We had one on display in our showroom, great machine.

Very light with foldable legs and wheels and a massive 315mm blade.

It also has extension tables on the side and back, which are optional.

From memory we were selling it at just over £300 inc Vat, but I can check on that if you like.

DavidE":3k92y8lj said:
Hi there,

I've just bought the Bosch (only had it just over 24hrs). I'm very impressed with it so far - it's only needed minor tweaking to get everything square and parallel. I ruled the DeWalt out as it doesn't have a very wide fence. The Bosch won over the Makita as it has a slightly bigger table and the deal from Axminster with stand and Angle Measurer seemed pretty good (sadly the offer has changed now to a Skil Jigsaw).

I quite like the crown guard although I imagine it could get a bit annoying as you get a bit of resistance just as the material goes under. However, it is far enough back from the blade to allow it to be brought back to fence (if required).

I've not used the other two or even seem them close up, however, I'm quite happy with this saw. I wish it had the Makita's soft start though it has quite a kick!

Edit: Just remembered the other minor annoyance - no port at the top for dust extraction. I was looking at it before to see if it could be added - it looks feasible.

Cheers
David

David,

I'd be very interested to hear how you are getting on with this saw. It's the only well-known make I've seen being sold here in Israel but I have not managed to see one out of its box yet. How is the mitre fence and can the riving knife be removed easily?

Thanks,
Henry

Hi Henry,

Welcome to the forum, to answer your questions very quickly:

I don't use the mitre fence much - it is okay though and I think reasonable accurate (I tend to cut angles on the SCMS). I have mainly used it at 90° when making lots of pieces of wood the same length.

You can if you wish remove the riving knife. I didn't see any interlocks to stop you running it without it in. I really like the crown guard on it and have never used it this way though (and don't intend to either).

I have modified the top guard to include dust extraction now which has made it better. Overall I am very pleased with it and like how easy it is to drag about.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, David

Karl wrote,
David

Thanks for that.

Just a quick question - is the profile of the mitre track rectangular or inverted T shape? If rectangular, what are the dimensions - ie will an Osborne or Incra aftermarket mitre gauge fit?

Cheers

Karl

Karl all of the Incra's and the Osborne come with a removable retaining clip which you fit if you have a Tee mitre slot and obviously do not if the slot is just rectangular.
Also with the adjustable expansion disks which take up any slack you will be surprised how many tables can use them.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the replies and the welcome to the forums. Wish we could get the wheeled base here. I am going to have to build a wheeled table for it if I decide to buy. Actually I only need to wheel it out of my small workshop for bigger jobs.

Has this saw REALLY got a plastic body?

Mike, According to David's drawing the rectangular part of the mitre slot is only about 1/4 inch X16 mm. I don't think you could get an aftermarket mitre guage in that. Has anybody tried?
Henry

Henry wrote,
Mike, According to David's drawing the rectangular part of the mitre slot is only about 1/4 inch X16 mm. I don't think you could get an aftermarket mitre guage in that. Has anybody tried?
Henry

Hi Henry, welcome to the forum.

I wasn't actually talking about the David's drawing. Karl had asked about the mitre slot being rectangular or T shaped and I was just telling him that Incra etc cater for both. :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":31cmh96e said:
Henry wrote,
Henry

Hi Henry, welcome to the forum.

I wasn't actually talking about the David's drawing. Karl had asked about the mitre slot being rectangular or T shaped and I was just telling him that Incra etc cater for both. :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I looked at Incra's website - and you are right. I'd still like to know if anyone has found a decent mitre gauge to go into thr Bosch gts10 slots.
Henry

Hi Henry,

I do not know, I think most of the decent mitre gauges are all made for the standard mitre slot.

There are members who have altered the sliding bar to fit the slot, and Rinky Dinky altered the bar and the slot

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ht=#162137

I think it's about time that saw manufacturers started making decent mitre gauges as standard for their saws, either that or putting standard 3/4 x 3/8 slots in their tables, some hope.

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back