polishing stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean_in_limerick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
When at the polishing stage of flattening the back of a chisel or a plane-iron, how much pressure should be applied on the 8000 grit waterstone?

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I've never really thought about how much pressure I'm applying when I'm polishing the back of a blade on an 8000 grit waterstone. I think I probably just apply enough pressure to hold the blade square on the stone while still being able to move the blade back and forth to polish it.

By the way. How is that LN 5-1/2 of yours going?

the LN is beautiful - both to look at and to use - worked straight out of the box, just honed the blade - i am currently trying to put a slight curve on the blade with only minimal success!

I'm getting a Lie-Nielsen 5-1/2 for my birthday next month. My wife already has it and its sitting on the top shelf of her wardrobe. It is almost killing me having to wait until my birthday before I can open it and check it out.

Sean
use plenty of water as the chisel will soon stick to the stone and get bogged down. pressure-wise use as much as you feel is appropiate. You are only ploishing at this point so don't go mad as the stone is quite soft.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Sean, I have the Charlesworth sharpening video and he adresses this very subject. He says that you just caress the stone as you're not trying to remove a lot of metal but rather are only trying to polish the edge. He also suggests only drawing the blade back and not pushing. I use his method and it works famously. You only need a few strokes with the 8000 grit stone to do the job. Hope this helps. John.

Sorry, just re-read your post. You're asking about polishing the back and not honing the bevel. Well, I use the Charlseworth ruler trick on the 8000 grit stone and it saves a ton of time. If you don't want to use the ruler trick I hope you have a lot of patience. I found that there was a considerable amount of suction between the blade and the stone which made it VERY diffucult to push . This can be alleviated somewhat by constantly wetting the stone, but it's a p.i.t.a. So I swithced to the ruler trick and am very pleased with the ease and the results. Good luck, John.

wow 8000 grit, you boys certainly like your sharpening!!
Thats why I don't visit this section, except on the odd occasion.

John-remember, the "ruler trick" is for plane irons only NOT chisels.
Senior-glad I didn't mention my 10k stone :wink:

That's true Philly, he did say chisels and plane irons. I gotta pay closer attention. I've got plane irons on the brain since I just sharpened a couple for my father this morning. He comes over when he needs something sharpened. I think it's time to buy him some waterstones and a sharpening jig :lol:

No problem, John. If you back-bevel a chisel it won't cut with the back flat on the work. :lol: Good thing you have the sharpening knack-your Dad will have to keep making excuses to come round :D
Senior
Don't say that too loud-you'll wake the diamond paste lot. THEN you get silly :lol:
Cheers

Sillyness is in the great British Python tradition.

However Shapton do stones of 15,000 and 30,000 grit, these are sold in the USA by Harrellson Stanley, who I assume to be American. I believe he spent many years learning traditional single bevel, freehand sharpening in Japan and is extremely good at it.

Then of course there are the wonders of industrial diamond paste going down to certainly 1/3 of a micron, probably even finer.

In the beginning, there were many forms of mined stone and they were seen to be good. They were used for thousands of years for the sharpening of hunting tools, weapons and woodworking stuff. Much better than the ubiquitous man made India stone, which came to pass in the twentieth century
Then came 6000 which seemed better than anything I had ever seen,
Then came the 8000 which seemed a fraction better,
Next the lure of the 10000, just because it was marginally cheaper and had a nice wooden base, can't swear that the improvement was detectable....

I expect all this will be heresy to some, and that is absolutely fine.

I find the 8000 King seems to have the nicest feel, and I cannot recommend it highly enough, to those who are interested. ( Norton 8000 seems very similar & I have not tried the multitude of more expensive ceramic type japanese stones). Those who are not, will presumably continue contentedly with the fine side of an India oilstone, which is cost effective and will get most jobs done.

David Charlesworth

On a serious note, all that sharpening must take hours, flattening of the back of this, trying to create a slight curve on that.

A couple of diamond stones does me fine. I really can't justify any more time and I don't believe having sharper tools would increase the quality of my furniture.

Having said all that I do like my powertools, so i'm in the wrong section.
Don't mean to upset anyone, promise.

so the concensus is to use DC's ruler trick on plane iron's, which is fine, but what about chisels? I have to be honest and admit that my chisels are plenty sharp for me without polishing the back, but i do like the look of a polished back.

John Clifford":2ruojg59 said:
I've got plane irons on the brain since I just sharpened a couple for my father this morning. He comes over when he needs something sharpened. I think it's time to buy him some waterstones and a sharpening jig :lol:
John, I may have bad news. I have exactly the same thing - my old man "can't do sharpening ", which is to say he could, 'cos I've set him up with the necessary kit, it's just so much easier to get me to do it. #-o He's about to embark on replacing the gable end of his garage so I predict shortly a chisel or two will appear on my bench with the mute plea "sharpen me". Sigh; at least my namesake got things with "eat me" and "drink me" on them... :roll: :lol:

How does 0.25 micron compare to 10,000 grit anyway? Should I be looking very embarrassed indeed? Oh well, it's not like I use it that often... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3442qnit said:
...How does 0.25 micron compare to 10,000 grit anyway? Should I be looking very embarrassed indeed? Oh well, it's not like I use it that often... :oops:

Cheers, Alf
Much finer. An 8k stone is about 1.2 micron.

Maybe I should be honing my saws with diamond paste... :wink:

Take care, Mike

Alf":uqhmmp3n said:
How does 0.25 micron compare to 10,000 grit anyway? Should I be looking very embarrassed indeed? Oh well, it's not like I use it that often... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

http://users.ameritech.net/knives/grits.htm

I normally use this chart, but looks like shapton left it behind.

The only number I can find on:

http://www.shaptonstones.com/stones/profseries.php

is 15000 == .96 micron.

(of course, sharpening is affected by particle shape and density as well as particle size...)

BugBear

Latest posts

Back