Pointed round over router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
I am looking for a 12mm approximately diameter sharp pointed round over router bit, unfortunately Wealdons are 2mm not pointed, I have found one on e-bay, but at £6.50 with a 1/2" shank I'm a bit worried about quality, anyone have a recommendation?

Mike

Why do you need a point on a roundover bit?

I've bought cutters from china via ebay. They work.
Quality with cutters is defined by how much they will cut. Cheap wears out fast, quality lasts a long time. You get what you pay for.

sunnybob":2ne71pdc said:
Quality with cutters is defined by how much they will cut. Cheap wears out fast, quality lasts a long time. You get what you pay for.
I have no knowledge of routers but I am surprised by this. I have read elsewhere that higher quality bits produce a smoother cut.

Correct. Almost.
A cheap knife with a good edge will slice a piece of paper.... once, maybe twice, before the edge is gone.
A cheap cutter bit is the same. It will cut for a short while as well as the finest you can buy.
The reason the bit is cheap is because the cutting edge is not best quality steel. The edge material is the monetary difference between the two.

sunnybob":3fk4ms3u said:
Why do you need a point on a roundover bit?

Round over bits can be used for more interesting carving than just rounding over an edge, for-instance making multiple beads on a Router Lathe without leaving a gap between.

Mike

Thanks for the link Bradlin, unfortunately a USA site and I need this in the immediate future, USA items tend to be a bit hit and miss on delivery times.

Mike

I've used them for creating architrave with multiple beads on the face of a board.

MattRoberts":31tv2kgd said:
Not seen one of those profiles before. Is it for trim moulding?

Sorry Matt I edited my post above to explain, its for carving multiple side by side beads around a post in a router lathe.

Mike

Will do, but I think the Volute that's going on top of the pierced newel will be more interesting, more later.

Mike

Back