Pocket Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to use pocket screws to fix together a 44mm x 44mm frame, but in my kreg kit instructions it only gives instructions up 1,1/2 inch stock - can I still use it succesfully for 44mm stock and where can I can get fine-thread 2.1/2 inch scews? I've had a look on Brimarc and they only do these in coarse thread, but apparently the instructions say you have to use fine-thread for hardwood?

hi byron have you binned the idea of mortice and tennon joinery ???

ive never used the kreg kit you talk about
if its what im thinking it drills a hole at a set angle , in line with the grain
to join another piece of timber at right angles . or as its known in the trade , stingeing
am i on the right lines here ????

Mel

Thats exactly what it does, however the instructions often talk about sheet goods and stock around 1 1/2 inch thick which is a little smaller than what i'm using.

For the greenhouse project, I think I will ditch the M&T as they are going to just take me too long, whereas the pocket-screws will get me up and running a lot quicker, and I can practice the M&T in the meantime reader for some side tables I need to make.

Hi Byron,
I have started making a lean to come conservatory, and was dreading M &T joints.
I did some practise joints first then brought my self a new router and new bits, after 16 joints and a home made jig I have mastered it.
I can not wait to do more.
I am making it in sections off 2feet by 6 feet, I am on my seventh section.
I found putting opening windows in two of the sections a bit hard.
I have never done any woodwork be for, and I am 60 plus.
I hope this gives you inspiration to try mortise and tenon joins.
Reg

Byron,
I had a look on the US 'site "McFeely's" which carries huge stock of various pocket screws. Most of the longer screws there look like coarse thread i.e. for softwood etc. Maybe the torque in an unpiloted hole in hardwood is felt to be too much for square drive? IIRC, on SMC a few posters report problems with square drive and have gone for Torx panhead. That might give you more options.

One of those traditional pocket hole joint, framed greenhouses hey. :shock:
When it disintergrates in a few years time why not make a pocket hole conservatory out of the remains.
Anyone who tells you this is a good construction method for outside joinery is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Senior - if the pocket holes are 'capped' and the wood is treated, what are the reasons for it to disintegrate? Not being smart - i'm genuinly interested to know.

Sunlight, rain, frost, and other weather are some of the most destructive forces you can put timber under, it will try its best to twist out of shape, a pocket screw will not stop the wood from twisting like a mortice and tenon.
Once the timber twists the joint is broken, water will penetrate, freeze, etc and make the joint loose, once this happens the joint has failed and inevitably the greenhouse will gradually begin the process of self destruction.

I see - appreciate the headsup. Guess i'll better get back to practising the M&T's :)

Would pocket-screws also be a complete no-no for the door-frames that hold the glazing? As the wood for these will be about 25mm, would a M&T be too difficult to do with such thin stock?

Byron,

You are making some darn thin doors at 25mm, what about 44mm ones? You could look at some good glass in the units that will help hold in the heat and reflect the strong light of the summer a little, Pilkington do some units like this that you should find from a good local glass supplier. As mentioned, the pocket screws won't allow for the natural movement in the wood, from hot days to freezing summers. I guess if you made a little thicker you could do M&T, but I know that I wouldnt feel too comfortable with the pocker screws over the long term.

Good luck, post some pics too.

G

Cheers for that Mel

But SWMBO has already discounted a bought greenhouse, nothing really suitable in terms of size and cost, not to mention that we have already bought the timber, so i've got no getting out of this one :)

I'll just have to bite the bullet and learn to cut the joints by hand, atleast it gives me an excuse to get into the workshop each evening and avoiding the soaps!

Latest posts

Back