Plywood/Laminate Tablesaw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a dedicated blade for ply/melamine/laminate work, i've seen there's a few super fine 200 tooth blades around as even with the (60 or 80 tooth - i can't remember) one i've got from axi i still seem to get plenty of chip out.

Does anyone have any experience with these / recommend a particular one?

It is vaguely under the "occasional" use category, but I'd like to get crisp results when i do need to cut it ya know. just doesn't want to break the bank doing it.

Thanks
Mark

Hello,

What saw are you using and is it set up so the rip fence is absolutely parallel to the blade and any crosscut table is running perfectly parallel also. A sharp 80 tooth blade in a well set up machine should be fine. A machine that heels and toes will chipout. I would start with machine set up first. Then perhaps a close fitting throat plate (AKA zero tolerance) can help too. I don't think I have ever heard of a 200 tooth carbide blade unless it is about 24 inches in diameter!

Mike.

ZCI helps, but if you run the chipboard/melamine/laminate through the saw with a cut of 2mm first then turn it over and cut through, that should sort it.

Mike

woodbrains":bx200m2n said:
A sharp 80 tooth blade in a well set up machine should be fine. A machine that heels and toes will chipout. I would start with machine set up first.

+1

Also a saw with a dodgy arbour or bearings, or a cheap blade with a warped plate, or a blade that needs sharpening, these become exercises in frustration with laminates. I've known people chase ever more exotic solutions for laminates when the real reason is the saw itself.

Even with 80 tooth blade I can get some chipout on one side of laminates so if critical position such as in cupboard door edges, I just cut slightly oversize and then run them across the router table with a stepped fence for a perfect edge.

Back