ATB vs TCG/ tooth count blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstano83

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to get 10"/250mm table saw blades and would love to get some help on choosing the best tooth shape/count ratio. Materials to cut would be hardwood, plywood and occasionally veneered particle boards. My idea if to get 3 blades. One for finish quality rip cuts - ATB 40t and two, 60 and 80 teeth for crosscuts. Should I go for ATB 60t and TCG 80t, or the other way around?

Have a look on the Swedex WEB site and down load their catalogue. This has a number of pages on what and how to select the best blades. It’s the best explanation and guide I’ve ever found.

http://www.swedex.co.uk/saw-blade-catalogue

I use either Swedex, Omas or CMT (Chrome) circular saw blades. I also used Atkinson Walker up until recently when they closed. Of the three I mention, I find the Swedex to be the best. They are however the most expensive, but I find the cut to be best and they stay sharp the longest between re-sharpens.

I would suggest sticking with ATB.

TCG / triple chip - IME dont stay sharp long, not good in solid timber or plywood. Tend to chip out unless super sharp.

ATB -best for solid. I would choose a rip sawblade, a combi and a fine.

A sharp combi blade, will give you a finish 95% as good as a fine, and much better than a blunt fine blade.

Back