Ply Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jack55,

Your picture has been caught by the spam trap, this will stop when you have a few more posts, here it is.

7.jpg

Useful looking bench, at a good price. =D>

Hi,

This project, as introduced, has been parked while I evaluate my options.

soundaz":38s21r3u said:
Are you wotking in ply wood because you spent all your money on the Festool??? :lol:

Soundaz, :roll:. Everybody has to cut sheet goods at some point in their lives. I expect to make much more use of the saw in time. We figured we'd get a tool of good repute for the long haul. One that can also act as a small table saw using the module system. In use the plunge action feels safer than a sprung blade guard too.

The choice of a ply bench has been described in my first post. I am not the sort to buy a tool and then wonder what projects I want to make with it. That would be stupidity of the highest order. Nope, I chose the project and then I chose my tools. The saw happens to be an expensive one, but if you read my other posts you'll see I am far from a tool collector or Festool nutter. I just bought what made sense to me.

Will post again later with some of the ideas I have.

Simon

OK, in addition to the workmate improvements that have been suggested I have also gathered and come up with the following ideas. Perhaps I really ought to move out to the design section but here goes anyway ...

Folding2.jpg

KnockDown.jpg

A folding base or easy to knock down base. This solves the main problem of a bulky workbench taking up space but leaves me with having to store the top somewhere.

Folding1.jpg

Integrating the folding base into the top means I only have to find a space equivalent to the size of the top + thickness of the folded base.

Dropleaf2.jpg

Dropleaf1.jpg

In a drop leaf configuration I could fold both the base and the top. This means I could have a neat little box that turns into a workbench when needed. Not much space to store anything else though.

TallCabinet.jpg

My own design roughed out in sketchup. This is a cabinet that opens up to become a complete work center with storage for power tools and hand tools. I think cabinets are fairly common in people's homes so shouldn't look too out of place.

ShortCabinet.jpg

Another of mine. The work top folds up over the cabinet top but can be extended as shown. I thought I could get away with making one side of the worktop a show piece and the other a dirty old worktop but I'm not sure that'll work so well when I need to drill dog holes and provide attach points for the legs (I suppose I could clamp the legs on). There is also less space available to store things in this design particularly as I'd need to store the extension supporting legs inside the cabinet.

As always thoughts and advice on any of these ideas are welcome!

Simon

Simon, only you can decide what's right for you. There is a little bit of 'chicken/egg' with building a workbench/station. You need one to build one. I suggest building the least complicated and cheapest option. I'm certain that once you start using whatever you build, you'll start to forulate opinions on what works and what does not. Trying to seek the absolute ideal solution straight away, often fails.

I should take my own advice. :wink:

Hi Simon,

I like that second one - I remember seeing it before somewhere :-k

It's probably the simplest to make and the best option in terms of rigidity. If you want to get something up and running quickly, I'd be strongly inclined to go for that one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back