plug cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, can someone recommend me a set of plug cutters.
I have previously been using the Stanley ones but they are now "past their best" (hammer) & are no longer available....unless you know different :?:
I bought some "Faithfull" recently but I'm not very impressed with the fit. (they were cheap #-o )

Not really bothered about the cost this time round, I don't use them very often & I would expect them to last at last 10-15 years :D

Thanks

Veritas ones seem very good to me. They cut a slightly tapered plug which does enable a close fit in the hole but you need to be careful not to hit them in too far as the wood can split.
Mine are imperial but I don't know if they do metric ones too.

hth

Bob

Benchwayze":26lsxszt said:
I have only one Plug Cutter, a Clico 5/8". Had it for years. Expensive, but it works great.
I would agree Clico are the best i was gutted when i knocked the tip of mine and saw the price of a new one so i got a trend one instead, it works well but not quite as good.

You can usually buy a matched lip and spur drill bit to go with your plug cutter, the best plug cutters usually also cut a small chamfer on the plug to aid insertion.

I cut all the plugs from one piece of straight grained timber on the pillar drill and then put a piece of tape over them, this helps if cutting them off on the band saw to stop them rolling all over the floor.

Back