Plough plane storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
I've got some plough and rabbet planes around the shop and I would like make a decent storage for them.

The list is:
Stanley 50 *
Record 050 *
Record 044 short rod *
Record 044 long rod
Stanley 78
Record 778
Record 043 *

* with blade set

I've valued a simple shelf but don't like the unstable sloped position, probably the best thing is create a dedicate support for each one but I haven't find nothing on web.

Any suggest will really apreciated

Thank you :D

If you screw a block to the wall and drill horizontal holes in the rod positions you can just slide them in and out.

Use the top of the block as a shelf for the appropriate cutters, spare rods etc (in vertical holes perhaps?)

For a plough plane where you have lots of loose bits, I would keep it in a box, then put that on a shelf or in a cupboard.

You could have a box for each, but they would take up a lot of space. One I built ..

1_zpsc325f0ff.jpg

2_zpsc9a0faf2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for your answers :)

matthewwh":2ocqok5k said:
If you screw a block to the wall and drill horizontal holes in the rod positions you can just slide them in and out.
That's what I thinked primarily, but it's ok only for the planes with long rods, with the short ones remain only a few mm and isn't secure.

A box for each plane, with modular sides, is securely the best option but for me is too hard, with my little time and less skill it could take eternity. Perhaps make seven box can speed up the process but is a lot of work. Yes, you can ask "what are you doing with many planes and no time?" but I won't respond :lol:
Derek your box is a dream, really great!

Today I think to build a support with a groove wide exactly like the plane sole (or skate?) and deep at least 10 mm, contact of the lateral fence will provide more support. This support could be fixed on a wall panel...

Hope you can understand my words, I should have study more english in school and I think google translate sometimes kidding me :oops:

Just back from the shop with a prototype, I must add a widening around the blade for the largest one and I think is ok, the fence works like a clamp. For other models could be more complicated but with a bit of fantasy I should do it.

44_3.jpg

I like your solution - I have a similar problem, although for less planes. This weekend I shall steal your idea!

Cheerio,

Carl

I like the simple solution as well. The one fly in the ointment is that plough planes work best with a deep fence, and this will alter the compactness of a planed board to be used as above.

AccessoryBladesfortheVeritasSmallPlow_html_m155e19ee.jpg

I have a couple of Stanley ploughs (#45, #46) with their original subfences, otherwise there is a LV and a #043 with added subfences. (The #044 in the picture has since been sold). This is how they are stored ...

ImagesOfMyWoodshop_html_m2318e6f6.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

mu":bpfkxya1 said:
Just back from the shop with a prototype, I must add a widening around the blade for the largest one and I think is ok, the fence works like a clamp. For other models could be more complicated but with a bit of fantasy I should do it.

44_3.jpg

If you added a big saw kerf at 45 degrees where the blade is, it would work beautifully, and even hold the plane in fore-aft position.

BugBear

mu":21bsjn1i said:

44_3.jpg

I can't think of a way to put this without being rude, but that's just hideous. And silly. Build a box. Even if you have to hammer it together with nails. Six pieces of wood. Make a built-up rebate joint for a drop-in lid.

Sorry, but you're owed a little candor.

I'll build one right along with you and share the step-by-step via email if you think it would help. I need to work the kinks out a rebate plane anyway. I've managed to get the yips with the thing and can't plane one square.

Thanks again for your really valuable answers, everyone.

Derek I'll keep in mind the wood additions in fence. I'm pleased of your pictures, you are at very high level.

bugbear":ftvjglx7 said:
If you added a big saw kerf at 45 degrees where the blade is, it would work beautifully, and even hold the plane in fore-aft position.
Bugbear, your suggestion is really cool, I'll try surely.

CStanford":ftvjglx7 said:
I can't think of a way to put this without being rude, but that's just hideous. And silly. Build a box. Even if you have to hammer it together with nails. Six pieces of wood. Make a built-up rebate joint for a drop-in lid.

Sorry, but you're owed a little candor.
If I write question on a forum like this is to receive answer and suggestion and your is precious like others, "sorry" is totally out of place :D
The problem is not to nail six pieces of wood toghether but to make 42 sides with determinate size, planed try and perpendicular by hand. Probably I can afford all that work, but how many hours it take?
However also in case I'll make some boxes, supports like that I made can be part of them, don't you think?

Leo, you can build a simple little box for a plow plane in about an hour or an hour and a half.

Perhaps seven plow planes is a few too many. I've fooled around with tools a bit and I am reasonably sure that there is redundant facility represented by seven of them.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Maybe start with one and finish it. Then move on to number two, etc. etc. And, maybe thinning the herd makes sense.

CStanford":1m67myov said:
And, maybe thinning the herd makes sense.
You are right, but after all they don't eat so much :D

Anyway, you're convincing me to build that boxes :wink:

I made a bunch of boxes for storing some of my herd. I've probably made 15 to 20 such boxes in differring heights and two lengths.

No fancy dovetails, just glued and nailed. Made from bits of scrap timber (I had to buy the ply for tops and bottoms :( ). They stack...
5HM.jpg

...with the help of two cleats on the base that locate within the depression at the top on the box below.
4HM.jpg

Slide on lids (made the grooves with the 043)
3HM.jpg

2HM.jpg

One design fault: I didn't allow enough depth for the user made fence that one came with, so the fence lays loose in the box #-o
6HM.jpg

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• 5HM.jpg
    5HM.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 4HM.jpg
    4HM.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 3HM.jpg
    3HM.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 2HM.jpg
    2HM.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 6HM.jpg
    6HM.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,354
Love 'em. They strike just the right chord with me. Not overwrought, overdesigned, or pretentious in any way. Frankly lovely in all respects. What an incredible sense of style with just the right amount of restraint.

Vann":2b0mbqt9 said:
I made a bunch of boxes for storing some of my herd. I've probably made 15 to 20 such boxes in differring heights and two lengths.

Ah the joys of real design and the inevitability of compromise - any of the individual boxes could be a better and neater fit for the particular plane and attachments it contains.

But then they wouldn't stack.

So whilst the individual boxes would be better, the boxes as a group would be worse.

BugBear

Back