Plonker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad spelling, punctuation, and presentation does irritate me. If I receive a job application which is poorly written I will consign it to the bin with the thought that 'If they can't be bothered to get a letter right, what use are they to me?'

I agree with Brad on this one. I'm a headhunter by profession and the people I look for are middle managers up to director level. Quite often, graduates will be required for the positions.
Some of the CV's I receive at times beggar belief, grammar, spelling and punctuation are quite often no better than poor and were I to put such CVs in front of Clients, they would quickly be despatched to the waste bin. I invariably have to rework CVs before I submit them for consideration.
I also find quite often at preliminary interview that arithmetic can cause problems. The ability to add, multiply, divide and subtract without a calculator seems to be a skill that is in serious decline.
Maybe its an age thing maybe its a social thing,, too much TV, too much PC or gameboy, calculators at school, no more family meals, who can say?
I do however notice in my line of work that the basics I learned at school and the art of effective communication appear to be missing from the skill sets in many of the people I come across.
Very sad. :cry:

I'm with Brad on this as well. He's not detracting from the very valuable and welcome contributions that people make to the forum ...far from it.

But I do agree with him that some posts are very difficult to follow and are almost just a stream of consciousness ....

beejay":bvac1pzj said:
I agree with Brad on this one.
Roger Sinden":bvac1pzj said:
I'm with Brad on this as well.
Wow!

Zero to Hero in one thread! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Brad

PS Thanks for the PM Roger - couldn't agree more!

Hi Brad

The following comment cannot be allowed to go unchallenged.

Brad Naylor":c87w9nbi said:
This appears to have mutated into a thread about spelling and punctuation, so it looks like I'm off the hook!

You've received warnings and if there are any more problems, you'll be banned.

Neil

Gill,

I can't relate to your perspective on this issue, Brad. In fact, your experience of this forum is completely at variance with mine.

I find the members here to be genuinely helpful and skilled woodworkers who try their utmost to assist others. They invariably communicate very effectively and it is unusual for an error to be made which is of significance to anyone other than a pedant.

It is very easy to overlook the fact that there is no requirement for members to post on this forum. This means that every message here is a gift from the person posting, freely made in a spirit of generosity. To my mind, it is both churlish and mean to criticise such gifts, no matter how flawed you may consider them to be.

Gill
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> well put Gill

Brad,

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This appears to have mutated into a thread about spelling and punctuation, so it looks like I'm off the hook!

While I would never take the judgmental and insulting stance taken by our late and unlamented friend Teacher, it puzzles me that so many members who obviously take immense pride and care in their woodworking, appear to take no such pride and care in their posting.

The SpellCheck button solves the spelling problems faced by many of us, and the the Preview facility allows one to read over one's post with eyes afresh and edit accordingly before submitting. It is surely common courtesy to other members to at least attempt to make one's posts comprehensible.

I appreciate that a few people may suffer from dyslexia or similar problems. There are more however, who would appear to suffer from chronic laziness!

Cheers
Brad

It is all well and good having a preview button, but if the person, for what ever reason does not know they have a problem with their grammar, or they cannot see where they are going wrong, do they deserve to be criticized?
There are many people who no matter how hard they tried at school to learn the english language, did not do as well as others. These children would have given their right arm to keep up with the rest of the class, but for what ever reason they could not, and now as adults do these people deserve to be criticized?

Brad, Roger, Beejay not everyone is lazy so gives us a break.

Cheers

Mike
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back