Plonker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin C":1803sv60 said:
Fecn":1803sv60 said:
I was rather enjoying the bad spelling post from Teacher.. It got a lot of replies very quickly and I got to write some poetry. When I turned my computer on this morning, the first thing I did was to look for that post.

Me too as I was enjoying how it was going, plus it was getting very funny ( SWMBO liked it too) :wink:

Yes, I was enjoying it too (although I had plans to delete after a day or two), thought it was harmless enough and moved it to OT but alas, I went to bed and one of the others didn't find it funny.

Calm down mods!!

The 'plonker' was me!

I made a few attempts yesterday morning to register under a funny name specifically to make a humorous response to a recent post by my mate Senior. I used my Hotmail address as, when I tried to use my normal one, it was rejected as already being in use by another member.

The forum wasn't under attack by subversive forces.
There was no sinister attempt to hijack UKW.

It was just silly old Brad trying to have a larf early one morning after being woken up by his six-year old demanding to watch Spongebob Squarepants!

So if you knew the IP, you knew it was me; so you could have sent me a PM asking me to stop playing silly pippers instead of blowing the whole thing up by starting a thread!? :-s

Is a little irreverence frowned upon by the moderators? I know you guys have a hard job to do, but may I humbly suggest that you could lighten up occasionally? eg Senior's avatar!!

I am a serious woodworker. That's what I do to put food on my family's table. I enjoy exchanging tips, experiences, and chat with other woodworkers - particularly the other pros. However, if I couldn't have a bit of fun with it as well, I'd go mad!

By the way, the 'Teacher' guy was nothing to do with me. I was enjoying having an a ding-dong with him when the thread was deleted. Why? - it seemed harmless enough.

Anyway, sorry for any trouble I may have caused. I won't do it again.

Cheers
Brad

Incidentally, I have not seen any rules forbidding the use of multiple identities. For all I know there might only be half a dozen people here all talking to themselves under different names!

Brad Naylor":f8tw7yd7 said:
Incidentally, I have not seen any rules forbidding the use of multiple identities. For all I know there might only be half a dozen people here all talking to themselves under different names!

You reckon its as many as 6. I think theres 3 members.

I sharpen chisels like this.
No you should sharpen chisels like this.
Alright calm down.
etc :lol: :lol:

BRAD
i was wondering why neil hadnt greeted you to the forum , in his usual manner :D
however, this gross misconduct warrants at least a temporary BAN !!!! :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

im not a hard man , so , six months ban should do the trick :eek: :eek:
you have an uncanny nack of talking your way out of a situation.
are you a salesman ????

did you get that cornice moulding sorted ????
as i didnt get a reply , and the post has slipped into oblivion

mel":1a83miuf said:
you have an uncanny nack of talking your way out of a situation.

did you get that cornice moulding sorted ????
as i didnt get a reply , and the post has slipped into oblivion

I seem to have the knack of talking my way into situations too! :lol:

Moulding all ordered up, thanks.

Should arrive Tuesday

Cheers
Brad

Didn't see the "bad spelling post", but it might be worth bearing in mind that not everyone is comfortable having their spelling and grammar corrected, even if done in good humour - we've lost at least one member to that in the past 'cos someone-who-shall-remain-nameless couldn't resist correcting him.

Cheers, Alf

senior":26zym982 said:
I think theres 3 members.

I sharpen chisels like this.
No you should sharpen chisels like this.
Alright calm down.
etc :lol: :lol:
You missed "Name That Machine".......

So that makes at least four of us

Scrit

Brad Naylor":1m7u6v6q said:
Calm down mods!!

Cheers
Brad

I often talk to myself and in any day I suffer from having more than a few identities.... like,

First thing in the morning I'm an angel cos I takes her coffee in bed. :lol: I'm her pet when I do things right. :lol:
I'm an ****** when I don't. :lol:
I'm a boring ****** when I've got the TV remote. :lol:
I'm patient when I sit out side clothes shop for hours on end. :lol:
I'm an ****** again when I won't go into mens shops cos she likes something in the window.
:lol:
I'm a treasure when I cook an evening meal. :lol:
I'm a lazy slob if I don't do the washing up. :lol:
I'm not with her If I go scruffy.
:lol:
I'm her Husband if there's any pretty girls about. :lol:

Got to stop she's watching me write this....... ouch! :lol: :lol:

Its a pity the "teachers" post was deleted as although I disagreed with the tone of his post, he did have a point. To a teacher spelling and grammar is equivalent to good joints and finishing in woodwork. If I posted a pic showing a wonky joint and some shocking finishing saying "I couldn't be bothered as I wanted to finish an essay" I'm sure there would be hundreds of posts decrying my attitude.

Shultzy":2g77acny said:
Its a pity the "teachers" post was deleted as although I disagreed with the tone of his post, he did have a point. To a teacher spelling and grammar is equivalent to good joints and finishing in woodwork. If I posted a pic showing a wonky joint and some shocking finishing saying "I couldn't be bothered as I wanted to finish an essay" I'm sure there would be hundreds of posts decrying my attitude.

I don't think the analogy is a good one. There are conditions such as dyslexia which make writing very difficult for some people and I think we should all take account of that. A teacher should be more aware of such conditions than most through his/her day to day contact with a wide range of pupils.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3szlmcoq said:
Shultzy":3szlmcoq said:

I don't think the analogy is a good one. There are conditions such as dyslexia which make writing very difficult for some people and I think we should all take account of that. A teacher should be more aware of such conditions than most through his/her day to day contact with a wide range of pupils.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I think I have the equivalent of dyslexia in my hands...they're a' thumbs :lol:

Shultzy,

Yes to a teacher spelling and grammar may be equivalent to good joints and finishing in woodwork but that does not mean that the teacher or another member should come on here and in front of god knows how many people on the world wide web criticize them for his or her bad spelling and grammar. It is bad enough that the person has this problem without someone embarrassing them for it.

If someone has a problem with another members spelling/grammar then why not pm the member?

Some of us may not be the brightest penny in the box but we do have feelings. :oops:

Cheers

Mike

I am one of the members on here that has dyslexia and I now see it as not as bad as I use to but for a teacher to do what he/she did was wrong in lots of ways.

It would be like me picking out one of the student at the karate class I help teacher at, that is slower than the others and making light of it ( which we have ) :shock: :evil: .

I dont think it should have been deleted as it was getting funny and not bad tempered at all. ( I did think it would be :) )

If and when someone on here makes some thing that could be better, I have seen members give advice on it and this is what makes this forum so good for all :)

I don't believe for a second that the buffoon who made the post actually was a teacher. For one thing, his own grammar was up the Swannee; for another, no teacher worthy of the name would make unspecific derogatory criticisms for the sake of it.

This was just a troll; a sad person who delights in stirring up trouble then running away.

Gill

This appears to have mutated into a thread about spelling and punctuation, so it looks like I'm off the hook!

While I would never take the judgmental and insulting stance taken by our late and unlamented friend Teacher, it puzzles me that so many members who obviously take immense pride and care in their woodworking, appear to take no such pride and care in their posting.

The SpellCheck button solves the spelling problems faced by many of us, and the the Preview facility allows one to read over one's post with eyes afresh and edit accordingly before submitting. It is surely common courtesy to other members to at least attempt to make one's posts comprehensible.

I appreciate that a few people may suffer from dyslexia or similar problems. There are more however, who would appear to suffer from chronic laziness! :lol:

Cheers
Brad

I can't relate to your perspective on this issue, Brad. In fact, your experience of this forum is completely at variance with mine.

I find the members here to be genuinely helpful and skilled woodworkers who try their utmost to assist others. They invariably communicate very effectively and it is unusual for an error to be made which is of significance to anyone other than a pedant.

It is very easy to overlook the fact that there is no requirement for members to post on this forum. This means that every message here is a gift from the person posting, freely made in a spirit of generosity. To my mind, it is both churlish and mean to criticise such gifts, no matter how flawed you may consider them to be.

Gill

Perhaps it is a burden I must bear Gill, for being myself a former teacher. A pedant too, perhaps.

Bad spelling, punctuation, and presentation does irritate me. If I receive a job application which is poorly written I will consign it to the bin with the thought that 'If they can't be bothered to get a letter right, what use are they to me?'

This is a common, if not universal reaction.

Unfortunately, there was a period in our schools during the seventies and eighties when presentation was not considered important, and the unlucky recipients of this trendy lefty educational nonsense are now approaching middle age severely handicapped in this important area. Happily, things have changed, and children today are taught in a far more traditional manner at school.

I am possibly being a little unfair on forum members; this is not, after all, a literary forum but a woodworking one. There are many posts however, which I give up reading halfway through because the style is inpenetrable - an example would be a five-hundred word treatise with no paragraph spacing whatsoever. Very difficult to read.

There are many members who would make their valuable points far more effectively if only they would just slow down a little and review their work before posting.

Cheers
Brad

Gill":3iqkrrdg said:
I can't relate to your perspective on this issue, Brad. In fact, your experience of this forum is completely at variance with mine.

I find the members here to be genuinely helpful and skilled woodworkers who try their utmost to assist others. They invariably communicate very effectively and it is unusual for an error to be made which is of significance to anyone other than a pedant.

It is very easy to overlook the fact that there is no requirement for members to post on this forum. This means that every message here is a gift from the person posting, freely made in a spirit of generosity. To my mind, it is both churlish and mean to criticise such gifts, no matter how flawed you may consider them to be.

Gill

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back