Plonker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just to let you know that we have had a plonker registering under various names over the last twelve hours and that all of the threads have been deleted. Unfortunately, due to the number, I was unable to pm any member who had replied to one of these posts. I hope you understand.

Nothing further seems to have happened since 7.30am.

This is not a spambot, just someone registering manually.

As this brave member used a hotmail email address I might have to recommend to the other Mods that we do not allow hotmail addresses.

Thanks
Neil

Well done Neil.

Neil,

As this brave member used a hotmail email address I might have to recommend to the other Mods that we do not allow hotmail addresses.

This is not a moan, more of an enquiry really.

Why would you want to stop anyone with a hotmail address becoming a member just because of one plonker?
I'm with AOL, and so no matter how many email addresses my family or I may want to use, they will always end in aol.com, we have no other option.
Now (remembering I am a complete dick head when it comes to the internet and anything else techno) I presume anyone who is with hotmail will have the hotmail name at the end of their address. and like me they have no other option. So if you ban all hotmail customers, you may be banning genuine woodworkers who just want to join the forums for their love of anything wood and who will not act like the ars-hole you are talking about?

:roll: Just incase I am talking out of my backside let me down gently please :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

By the way how did you know all the new members (various names) were the same person?

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2g8c3m5o said:
I presume anyone who is with hotmail will have the hotmail name at the end of their address.

Not quite. Hotmail isn't an ISP service, its just a free web-based "email account" that is to all intents untraceable. People use them as disposable accounts often.

Adam

Mike.C":1ucrhyf6 said:
By the way how did you know all the new members (various names) were the same person?

We can see all member's IP addresses :wink:

Adam,

Mike.C wrote:
I presume anyone who is with hotmail will have the hotmail name at the end of their address.

Not quite. Hotmail isn't an ISP service, its just a free web-based "email account" that is to all intents untraceable. People use them as disposable accounts often.

I knew there had to be a simple answer, I really do not know why I bother. I am always making a silly person of myself.

Thanks Adam, Tony

Cheers

Mike

Mike still has a point about banning hotmail accounts just becasuse of one user.

mmmm, I'm registered here with my hotmail account. tbh it's the one I NORMALLY use for junk or anything I'm not certain about (I'd be more than happy to change it NOW to my 'proper' home email - but didn't know that at the time of registering).

It is something I've come across a couple of times elsewhere (hotmail not allowed). In one instance I relented & used my normal email - in another I decided not to bother.

I'm registered via a hotmail account.
I've had it since 1996 i think.

The useful thing about one of these is, if you change your ISP, you don't need to change email address.

I also have a gmail account, but as I've not had any real problems with hotmail, I continue to use it as my main account.

I hope we're not banned :)

Maybe something less drastic than banning would be to simply keep an eye on new posters (as you already seem to be doing), or maybe new members have to get their posts approved by a moderator.

Anyway, back to signing up to forums with amusing names :)

J

I also have a hotmail account which I use for most of my email apart from work.

I'm not sure if banning anyone with a hotmail account was what you meant but if you did can I also please raise my objection!

Thanks
Mike

I have to admit I'm a bit confused by the hotmail statement. I only use hotmail accounts (gmail and yahoo) and have done since my broadband was installed. I just can't see the point of downloading and storing mail on my computer. The gmail capacity increases faster than my usage.

Can you clarify Neil?

Andy

dedee":3d9gglxj said:
I just can't see the point of downloading and storing mail on my computer.

It is private and secure that way - not stored on a server where you have no control

Tony":mdhtdhmv said:
dedee":mdhtdhmv said:
I just can't see the point of downloading and storing mail on my computer.

It is private and secure that way - not stored on a server where you have no control

No email transmission is private or secure and until you actually read it, it is stored on a server that you have no control of.

I still hope I don't get barred from the forum for having a hotmail account!

Cheers
Mike

Tony":1msywxj9 said:
Mike.C":1msywxj9 said:

We can see all member's IP addresses :wink:

Please try to avoid banning someone by banning their IP because IP addresses are reused by ISPs. A relative had no end of problems because some mail servers decided his IP should be banned. He was a harmless old man and his PC was definitly not infected with mail bots or similar. It seems his IP address was banned even before he got broadband. It took ages to sort out and he had to change ISP which cost him £ as broadband from his original ISP was part of a package.

I use only Gmail now as I was getting fed up with ISP charges. If anyone wants a Gmail account PM me and i'll send you an invitation.

ByronBlack":rb36mgr0 said:
I use only Gmail now as I was getting fed up with ISP charges. If anyone wants a Gmail account PM me and i'll send you an invitation.

BB

There is no need to send invites now as anyone can get a Gmail account now :)

Doh! DIdn't realise that Colin - thought they were still in closed-beta shows how much attention I pay to these things :)

Neil
was "Teacher " one of them ??
as i cant see his post about bad grammer in the off topic

regs
mel

I was rather enjoying the bad spelling post from Teacher.. It got a lot of replies very quickly and I got to write some poetry. When I turned my computer on this morning, the first thing I did was to look for that post.

Fecn":1vg9pwsg said:
I was rather enjoying the bad spelling post from Teacher.. It got a lot of replies very quickly and I got to write some poetry. When I turned my computer on this morning, the first thing I did was to look for that post.

Me too as I was enjoying how it was going, plus it was getting very funny ( SWMBO liked it too) :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back