Please help with workshop-Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would give you a progress report on altering my workshop (using smaller workshop to take overspill of tools).

Thanks to suggestions in original thread I have managed to completely clean out the small workshop and discard all old fittings (only thing I managed to salvage were 4 old drawers minus the carcase).

Small Workshop

The first thing I did was to get some self levelling compound and smooth out the floor after that

I replaced some old broken bricks and filled the gaps round the window frame, ripped out the old electrics.

I then bought some 6" x 3/4" board and screwed them together at 90deg and fitted them to the top of the wall/ceiling all round the w/s for somewhere to hang my new lights (ceiling low and made of concrete hard to screw fittings into) then painted all the walls and ceiling white and the floor red.

Used small bench that I had removed from other workshop which consisted of two cupboards and a set of draws with a 3/4 ply top and fitted to the back wall tight into the r/h corner I then built a 2' x 2' x 6' unit in the l/h corner of the back wall this consisted of a small cupboard at the bottom to fit my welding gear then the four salvaged draws above then a 2' x 2' cupboard on top which took the height up to 6',this left a gap of just under 2' between the cupboard and the bench

I built a 2" x 2" frame to fill the gap and topped it with 2 layers of 3/4 ply onto which I bolted my metal working vice for the odd welding job.

This left a floor space of 8' x 4'or 6'6" x 4' if you take out the opening of the door which I could use for storing overspill from the other w/s.

Large Workshop

With the small bench removed from the large w/s this left me with one 10' bench running down the l/h side which had a 3' void under the bench at the back where the small bench was attatched I made 4 draws 35" wide and 23" deep to fill the gap I sectioned the inside of the draws and fitted all of my small power tools into a single drawer I put all my measuring tools, mitre blocks,and chisels into another draw then drill bits, sharpening stones, and sandpaper into another leaving me with 1 draw free,

I raised the bench an extra 2" took the sliding mitre saw off the bench and mounted it onto a 2' x 2' x 3/4" ply board and I adapted the top of the bench to have the mitre saw drop in when needed and cut a 2" x 2" x 3/4" blank to cover the hole when not in use then I put runners under the bench to slide the mitre saw in when not in use next job to make a router table to fit the bench space and slides to stow that under the bench, work is still in progress with this w/s I still have to make two cabinets on wheels to fit my mortiser and planer so as to store them in the small w/s and enquire about the wheel kit for my Ryobi bandsaw I am slowly getting there, I have lots more space already.

I have been jotting down my progress in notepad so when I finnish the work I can post it as a thread but I have run into a slight problem.

My friend asked me to help move his bandsaw into another shed he had purchased (he has the same problem as me not enough workspace) and set it up for him, this I was pleased to do he bought the new shed to house the bandsaw and his wood blanks that he uses for turning.

His main shed houses a large Jet Lathe and all his woodturning tools and he gave me a demonstration of the basics of how to use the lathe and let me have a go with the roughing gouge and bowl gouge ( he has been turning for about 2 years now) and he shown me some of the bowls and platters he had turned.

I was hooked instantly, sanity flew out of the window I went home and ordered a CCL lathe from Axminster and their boxed set of chisels.

The lathe arrived 2 days later and took pride of place in the small w/s it fits snugly between the door and end wall had to stand it on blocks as it was a little low for me I fitted an old pine log I had lying about and roughed it down to a quite respectable 12" x 4.25", Oooh! I think im in love,I sealed the log and put it on one side while I think of something to make with it I know its not great timber but its good for practice.

But this has put the kybosh on storing overspill from the other w/s I don't care I have much more room in the larger w/s and I am sure with a little thought I can make even more.

Well that brings us bang up to date if I make anymore alterations I will let you know thanks to all for the original advice it has opened up a whole new world for me.

Glad you're enjoying it - but got any pictures ? It is so much easier to visualise when you can ..err.. visualise it :lol:
I've suffered from the opposite to you - about eighteen months ago,I finished extending my shed to make a workshop to put a lathe in,as I fancied doing some woodturning;at the time,it was easily big enough,but since then I have got interested in all types of woodwork,and the bigger,new and improved workshop is somewhat full and I could do with twice as much space :(

Andrew

I know exactly what you mean a few months ago I bought a scroll saw (couldn't resist the price) but it is sat in my bedroom dare not put it into one of the workshops as it might lead me into another aspect of woodwork.
I could try and post a couple of pictures but I am afraid you may laugh at my efforts

Small Workshop

Here are a few pics I managed to take yesterday
These first 3 are of the small W/S I have just done up

imgp0061gn8.jpg

View through door showing new unit I built and my vice inset

imgp0077pg7.jpg

Old bench from large W/S with new grinder and homemade grinding jig

imgp0063dk5.jpg

My latest love the new lathe from Axminster

Larger Workshop 10 x 8

I had the shed errected beneath my old aviary I didn't want to remove the metal posts as they are 2 foot deep set in concrete, so I left the shell up complete with roof

imgp0064wd8.jpg

View as you enter shed
I installed the electrics as I was cladding the inside of shed

imgp0065rq1.jpg

imgp0066bo5.jpg

View showing Ryobi bandsaw

imgp0067iv6.jpg

You can just see small woodtidy I built by the door

imgp0068pm4.jpg

The 4 draws I built
These are made of 3/4" CDX shuttering ply with 1/2" bottoms not very elegant but they serve their purpose

imgp0071tr5.jpg

imgp0073na2.jpg

imgp0072hw8.jpg

View of the back of the shed leaving the old aviary gave me a small area at the rear to store a small ammount of timber under cover

imgp0069cn6.jpg

Well thats bought us bang up to date and still quite a bit to do will try and keep you posted
Phil

Very nice - the new one looks very "cosy" (the sort of place that looks inviting enough to spend a few hours in :D )

Thoroughly enjoyed the pictures - thanks for taking the time.

Andrew

nice shed's what runners did you use for the power tool draws???

Lugo35
Afraid I can't answer that, last year I scrapped an old computer desk the draw runners were about the only thing worth saving.

I can tell you that the 4 runners for each drawer (2 for carcase 2 for drawer) were R & L handed they looked like an L shaped channel with a hard plastic wheel at one end the carcase ones had the wheel at the front the draw runners had the wheel at the back.
hope this helps
Phil

Sooty, thanks for posting - nothing laughable there that I can see, all looks very neat and tidy.

Andy

Sooty, love what you have done with the 10x8 shed, the internal cladding makes it look really cozy, almost like a swedish sauna - just need a couple of blonde bombshells :)

Thanks for the thumbs up guys makes me feel a whole lot better :eek:
Wish I had the room to build one like yours Byron, I follow your progress everyday and I must say it's looking great, keep up the good work

I like the idea of a seperate turning w/s. Keep all that nasty dust away from the rest of the work! - Don't forget your own lungs though! :wink:

Nice job!

Simon.

Back