Sjobergs Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwDave

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this bench last May and love it to bits however over the winter the shoulder vice has become unusable and the drawers have become really, really stiff and the cupboard doors won’t close by a significant amount. After several back and forward with Sjobergs they tell me that this is because my workshop is not between 40% and 50% humidity. So I have draped some blankets over it and put a dehumidifier underneath, after 2 weeks the bench is returning to normal.

So my question is this. Who keeps their workshop (mine is 7m x 15m x 4m high) at 40% to 50% humidity in the winter? This would cost a fortune. So are there any tips for keeping my bench ‘dry’?

So Sjobergs benches only work if humidity is between 40% and 50%?
I didn't know they did shoulder vices. (Which model do you have?)
There are many types of traditional benches that work well regardless of humidity.
Use your current bench to build one of those, then sell the Sjobergs. :)

The humidity levels in Brecon close to Defynnog apparently varies between 80-91%.

I don't think there is anywhere in the UK that routinely gets close to 50% humidity!

I'm reminded of the recurring scene in Are You Being Served? Sadly I couldn't find it on YouTube or similar.

Did you hand wash only?
In a sink, not the bath?
Using only soap, not detergent?
Allowed to dry naturally away from heat?

This strikes me as a similar excuse to the above in an attempt to evade responsibility. If that really is the attitude then I'd consider them unfit for purpose. Hell, even school classrooms must vary more than that, especially when the heating goes off over Christmas.

Humidity affecting wood moisture content is not just an issue for your workbench. If your workshop is too humid anything you make will dry out slightly and shrink once you bring it indoors. This means issues such as drawers will be looser, potentially larger gaps around doors, breadboard ends will stick out and could lead to splitting where there is different grain directions

I understand this, and yes it is an issue. However if I am making something like you suggest I will make sure the humidity is OK, I just don’t want to have to keep my workshop at 40% to 50% 24/7 all through the winter when most of the time I am doing general stuff not ‘furniture’ quality things.

Humidity affecting wood moisture content is not just an issue for your workbench. If your workshop is too humid anything you make will dry out slightly and shrink once you bring it indoors. This means issues such as drawers will be looser, potentially larger gaps around doors, breadboard ends will stick out and could lead to splitting where there is different grain directions
Yes, wood moves. We all know that, the primary driver is humidity, thermal effects are negligible in comparison. We bear that in mind and design stuff to accommodate it.

If you're in the business of selling wooden workbenches you should know that too, and make similar provisions. Obviously there are limits, if the bench was in the full glare of the Saharan sun I doubt many would blame the manufacturer when things shrink. Similarly if it was covered by a tarp in pouring rain for weeks on end, sure, things might swell.

But a workbench in a workshop here in the UK? If it can't cope with that the fault is with the design rather than its usage.

while I do agree the humidity tolerances are not great (I would never be able to meet them in my garage) the advertisements on the site do state the "recommend range" but the care and maintenance instructions state it as more matter of fact, keep it in the range and use a dehumidifier if needed to do so, otherwise the associated problems can occur.

I assume that's to limit their liability

So my question is this. Who keeps their workshop (mine is 7m x 15m x 4m high) at 40% to 50% humidity in the winter? This would cost a fortune. So are there any tips for keeping my bench ‘dry’?

I do, but my shop is in my basement. I bought a Sjöbergs Elite 2000 with the SM04 cabinet five years ago and was aware of the requirement to keep the humidity between 40 and 55 percent.

I don't monitor or control the humidity in my basement, and the temperature when I'm not working in the shop is constant nearly all year. In the past five years, I have not experienced any of the issues you described and am very happy with my bench.

It seems to me that your story should serve as a warning to anyone contemplating buying a Sjobergs bench. 40 -50% relative humidity may be fine for anyone living in Sweden with its continental climate, but it is not realistic for most UK amateur woodworkers who have to work in sheds and garages where the coditions are much closer to UK outdoor coditions. About 25 years ago I bought an Emir SuperCabinetmaker bench (no longer made) and have had it in my workshop which, over that time, I have transformed from something close to typical UK workshop conditions to something closer to an indoor centrally heated environment. Whilst not perfect in design, the Emir has never been adversely affected in any way by changes in atmospheric conditions. As an earlier poster suggested, I would use the sjobergs to make something better and then sell it.

Jim

Better too tight than too loose surely?
Guessing the contraction would be fairly even in regards to M&T's and end caps being all beech,
and likely produced under strict enough conditions, (not having looked at Sjobergs setup)
Just plane off the burnished marks a bit, am I missing something?

you would need to insulate the workshop space to get close to 50% relative humidity and create something closer to indoor conditions.

Back