please advise on lathe stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
You might have seen my workshop changes post in projects.

I want to put a shelf under the lathe bed to catch shavings that fall from turning and let it fall into a waste bucket.

Anyone tried this and does it work?

9w-4.jpg

the shelf and bucket drawn for example of what I am thinking.

Any more suggestions (I would like a cupboard for storage incorporated with above)

10w-5.jpg

I think the tailstock alignment on that new lathe of yours might need a bit of alingment! :lol:

Any i've not tried ia shelf like that, but i think it'd funnel some shavings, many would still pile around the bucket, and plenty more will fly in other directions.
It should help a bit, but the one's you'd catch would end up in a neat pile on the floor without it anyway. Not that big a deal to sweep, and the annoying ones seem to be those that somehow end up on a shelf 10 yards away!

I go with storage space instead myself...

Short answer - complete waste of time.

Longer answer - in the early, balancing, stages of turning, the majority of shavings will fall to the floor between you and the headstock. Once the speed goes up, then there should be a virtually continuous ribbon of shavings coming off which - depending on speed and wood being turned - will go anywhere: over your shoulder, up in the air, mostly on your arms and hands, anywhere BUT where you'd want or expect them to go.

By all means try with a large piece of card, but don't waste time building anything yet. Use the space for storage, stabilising weights or both.

Ray

As Ray says a waste of time.Plus it looks like it will be in the way of where you will want to stand :?
I would concentrate on getting rid of the fine dust and making a sturdy stand for the lathe with loads of weight added.
I do have a largeish bin by me when i'm turning just to shake the shavings in that build up on my arm and bench etc,but that moves along with me :D

Well, the idea is not so bad, but than make a funnel in the middle. Nonetheless the chips goes into the air, over your shoulders into your pockets, and everywhere they want fly, and of course into the funnel.
So still you have to clean up from time to time. But inventivity is a good thing :)
Ad

not worth the hassle IMO
Agree with the others - go with storage
I make it a habit of quickly sweeping up before I leave the workarea, even if it is only to make the area I am walking about free of shavings - saves you having to clean up somewhere else where you have dragged the debris

I have learnt the hard way to clean up as I go along. I lost too many bits and pieces in piles of shavings. As said, shavings tend to go all ovwer the place. Short of limiting their travel with curtains or a booth arrangement I doubt that anything will work.

Pete

Howdy,

My Draper came with a stand just like that.
It was about as stable as a big jelly so I chucked it and mounted
the lathe on a thick wood worktop and bolted it to a sturdy cupboard.
Now, with a couple of bags of gravel its rock solid and full of handy drawers.

As for the shavings, as large amounts seem to travel up to 8feet from the lathe
and end up in closed drawers, pockets, ears and every other bodily orifice
I'd save money and effort and buy a new brush... :)

Oh yes and the thought of tripping over a bucket and landing on a spinning lathe might be worth considering. :(

Or you could consider the Vulthoom Industries "Shavings Mate" attachment.

Only £49.99 plus £4.00 a week for nuts...... :)

SquirLathe.jpg

Vulthoom":g96ny9ss said:
Howdy,

My Draper came with a stand just like that.
It was about as stable as a big jelly so I chucked it and mounted
the lathe on a thick wood worktop and bolted it to a sturdy cupboard.
Now, with a couple of bags of gravel its rock solid and full of handy drawers.

As for the shavings, as large amounts seem to travel up to 8feet from the lathe
and end up in closed drawers, pockets, ears and every other bodily orifice
I'd save money and effort and buy a new brush... :)

Oh yes and the thought of tripping over a bucket and landing on a spinning lathe might be worth considering. :(

Would it have helped if you had bolted the old stand down to the floor there are holes in the legs for this?

OK; I will build a cabinet (and try heavy bags inside to weigh down if others have succeeded this way)

The top can still have a funnel for any dust dropping on to the shelf and a tube through the cabinet.

Should I keep the cabinet doors from protruding out in front of lathe bed so chisels are not impeded or can I come forward a bit.

Thanks for your replies with experience.

devonwoody":2m5j0old said:
Would it have helped if you had bolted the old stand down to the floor there are holes in the legs for this?

OK; I will build a cabinet (and try heavy bags inside to weigh down if others have succeeded this way)

The top can still have a funnel for any dust dropping on to the shelf and a tube through the cabinet.

Should I keep the cabinet doors from protruding out in front of lathe bed so chisels are not impeded or can I come forward a bit.

Thanks for your replies with experience.

I think even bolted down this type of stand seems to have too much flex in it.

I added a bit of an overhang on the front to give my some room for my knees.
I haven't had a problem with it getting in the way of the chisel handles yet.

The lathe bed now......that always seems to be wherever I need the large
bowl gouge handle to be!

The cupboard is a very old and heavy job and is a lot sturdier than it looks.

LatheStand.jpg

How long are your arms? Remember that you will be working at the centre of the lathe and will need to reach comfortably and safely there so if anything protrudes too much it will become a nuisance and potentially dangerous. Also if your lathe head swivels then you will lose some of your clearance. Best idea is to have the cabinet as wide as is practical with the lathe firmly fixed to the front edge. Make sure that you have plenty of space under the bars or bed as well so that clearing the shavings etc out is easy. If necessary put blocks under the head and tail. The cenrtre should be roughly the height of your elbow when your arms are straight down. This does vary from person to person though.

pete

Bodrighy":3karxue7 said:
Make sure that you have plenty of space under the bars or bed as well so that clearing the shavings etc out is easy. If necessary put blocks under the head and tail.
pete
Something I wanted to do but the height was bang on without the blocks.
It is a bit of a pain to fish the shavings from out under the small gap but
not impossible.

Thanks for all the advice and tips, not having had any experience with lathes before (apart from penturning on my M333) these comments are helping me make decisions.

So a cabinet needs to be flush with bed front, (my headstock swivels) and chip clearance space needed.

Perhaps when fitting out the cabinet I can stiffen up the frames?

Gave it a test run yesterday afternoon and all seems to be working, the frame and bed seem unused but the tool rests have had some work experience :wink:

Latest posts

Back