Please advise on Ducting Set-Up with this extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to set up extraction for my small workshop. My machines are as follows

• Hammer N4400 Bandsaw – with 120mm port
• Makita LS1013L Compound Mitre saw
• Trend router table
• Pillar Drill

I’m considering buying this extractor :

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/15 ... qn4RvmLSM9

This will be about 3m from the bandsaw . Here is a diagram of the shop. Because of space constraints / configuration – machines cannot change position.
Extraction_zpsrq4wy9nc.png
[/url][/img]

I’d be really greatful for advice as to the best way to step-up from the 4’’ extractor to the 120mm/ 5’’ bandsaw. Or do I use a reducer at the bandsaw port to achieve this?

And then down to 2 ½ ‘’ for the rest of the machines.

As well as any recommendations on what specific ducting kit to purchase.

I’m more interested in a straighforward set up and will pay a litlle extra for this.

Thanks, Paul

The extractor you linked to is commonly referred to as a High pressure, low volume (HPLV) or "vacuum" type. An air flow of 108 litres/second is well within the capabilities of 4" ducting with low losses per metre, I would think it easiest to use a reducer at the bandsaw as you can then use 4" ducting from there which is readily available. At the maximum flow rate of the extractor, you will get no difference in performance between 5" and 4" ducting over a 3m length. For short runs to the other machines I would just use 2.5" back to the extractor if it's not common to the bandsaw, if the run is longer (>4m) I would consider upping that to 4" and reducing at the machine.

Personally I've never used extraction at a pillar drill, not to say it's wrong, just I've never seen it done. And I've always seen router tables operate from the portable "hoover" style extractors, I guess because they often have an easy way of automatically switching on the extraction and the router together. Dust extraction with a CMS is often a bit hit and miss, it's a bit like a lathe in that even with extraction you need to have a set up that can handle all the stuff that the extractor inevitably misses! So maybe a "flying hose" might be a good idea?

Finally I've got the the same n4400 bandsaw as you, and I know a few workshops that also have that particular machine. Bandsaws are another machine with an iffy extraction reputation, mainly because there's usually huge open gaps immediately underneath the table. I seem to get reasonably good results with a 2500 cu m/hour extractor, but I normally close down the blast gates to everything else when I'm using the bandsaw. I know some n4400 workshops who grumble a bit at the extraction performance. I'm no expert on these matters. but maybe consider installing blast gates so the full force of your extraction can be directed at the bandsaw when in operation?

Good luck!

Good comments from Custard.

I used to have a similar extractor to the Camvac one you are considering - mine was a Record Power one http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/fi ... qot-BobirU
It worked very well with the table saw, planer and (Scheppach) bandsaw. I had a good system of blast gates and separate hoses off to each machine. I used it with my mitre saw which has a step down adapter (to 2 1/4"?) and it came with a step down adapter for a standard (1 1/2"?) hose; however, I found that the suction performance was far worse once the step down connection was made. Using the full 4" hose, the suction performance was terrific though.

The main reason I looked to change it was the noise - the two motors do make a pretty significant racket and I had planned to put the unit in a sound-proofed box (with suitable baffled ventilation). I changed the machine eventually for a big HVLP extractor the same as this one http://www.conwaysaw.co.uk/usedmachines ... t-unit.htm
This is fantastic on the big machines, in particular the planer. It is a bit bulkier than the Record unit, but I have done away with the blast gates and just wheel it around as I change the hose over - this is just as quick as changing the blast gates in practice.

On the Mitre saw, router table and occasional use at the drill press, I use the ordinary shop vac, usually a Festool with 2" (or whatever it is) hose - this provides a better LVHP suction.

So my experience is you need two different machines for different jobs.

Cheers

I just have a 4" aluminium flexi hose on my extractor and plug it onto whatever I'm using. All my machines are on wheels so its easy to drag one out and plug the extraction into it. 4" solid ducting around the room would be nice but its not really feasible the way my garage is set up.

Thanks for all of the advice, I've decided to go with a wall mounted axminster chip extractor dedicated to the bandsaw (with secondary lvhp extraction) and a camvac like the model quoted above connected to ducting around shop. The camvac linked to above is not in stock currently so back to searching for something similar. Can't wait to get it all set up!

paulc":35lqt75x said:
Thanks for all of the advice, I've decided to go with a wall mounted axminster chip extractor dedicated to the bandsaw (with secondary lvhp extraction) and a camvac like the model quoted above connected to ducting around shop. The camvac linked to above is not in stock currently so back to searching for something similar. Can't wait to get it all set up!

Sounds like a winning arrangement...good luck with setting up your workshop!

Back