Plastic or unknown wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have a colleague who just found out she is pregnant, I thought a little rattle might be a nice gift, in my alladins cave of odds and ends I have a few bits of a HDPE playground bench that the children broke (I'm a primary school caretaker) and I have some lengths of a wood that used to be built in coat racks and benches in a 50yr old school but I don't know the species of tree it came from, it is a golden brown but is dark or light depending on the light and angle you look at it,
20211006_174741.jpg
20211006_175721.jpg
20211006_175821.jpg

The top pic is the piece of plastic, the 2nd and 3rd pic are of the same piece of wood, 2nd pic had the camera flash on and the 3rd one didn't.
A few questions,
if I use the hdpe, will it work OK on the lathe without melting if I can find a way to mount it? Also not sure what adhesive I should use once I've filled the void with beads.
If I use the wood, the concerns I have are not knowing the species and which direction the grain would be best faced.

Would really appreciate your thoughts and advice

I've turned a little HDPE, it turns nicely, and you can get it really smooth, i had no melting issues...possibly a 5-minute epoxy could be used.

I've turned a little HDPE, it turns nicely, and you can get it really smooth, i had no melting issues...possibly a 5-minute epoxy could be used.
An epoxy would be a good choice and also put a small groove in both sides of the mating glue surface. The epoxy will then make a positive lock between the two parts. No way you would want the beads coming out for the baby to choke on.

An epoxy would be a good choice and also put a small groove in both sides of the mating glue surface. The epoxy will then make a positive lock between the two parts. No way you would want the beads coming out for the baby to choke on.
Would totally be making sure the adhesive has a positive grip, im also considering using heat to melt and join the surfaces together but not sure it would work well enough.

Back