Planters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwilym68

Reaction score
Hi All

Rather than sitting and reading I thought I would post a photo of some planters I designed and made last year,
IMG_3210.JPG

I tried to make them contemporary so they could look good both inside and out.

What you think?

Gwilym

Attachments

• IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,665
Gwilym
What wood did you make them out of? i got a load of old science benches in my back garden for years and i couldnt think of what to make with the teak, so i opted for planters. Make 16 of them and gave them all away as gifts to friends and family. Was good fun.

Attachments

• Photo0304.jpg
    Photo0304.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,558
They're really
Im currently in the process of making 2 very different styles of planters from recycled wood but neither will be as nice as those!

I too had a go at making some planters last year, although they are still a work in progress.

I started out with a Sketchup plan...

Planter (Sketchup Model) by nanscombe, on Flickr

Which turned out as...

20120511_124324 by nanscombe, on Flickr

I based them on the idea of holding 10 plants in 6" pots, grown on in the greenhouse and moved out when ready, but this year I'm converting them to just hold compost so I'll be able to plant into them directly.

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies and comments, the planters where made out of treated soft wood, they were left bare so they could be stained or painted to peoples requirements.

Great looking planters. Nanscombe and Kinsella, also like the staging Nans could do with something like that in my glasshouse. (Thats the tidiest glasshouse I've ever seen, mine is currently a dumping ground - It's just been a storage area for the last few years)

I will try and get a close up sorted for you shortly anderonec. (I will edit this message)

As promised -

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3113-001.JPG

IMG_3187_1.JPG

Thanks again guys

Gwilym

Attachments

• IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,305
  • IMG_3113-001.JPG
    IMG_3113-001.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,305
  • IMG_3187_1.JPG
    IMG_3187_1.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,305
Gwilym68":31m5sf7c said:
... Thats the tidiest glasshouse I've ever seen, mine is currently a dumping ground - It's just been a storage area for the last few years

And there is a reason for that too. 8) Before I made the staging, to replace some old aluminium stuff, I built some shelving.

They were created as an open framework large enough to take the old aluminium staging trays but I later infilled the front frames to make them in to doors.

In the background is a potting bench I made to go with the staging.

20130319_163732 by nanscombe, on Flickr

With some crude planters I made several years ago that were to contain things like Hostas that were prone to winter frost damage I lined the insides with 50mm Polystyrene and thick gauge polythene. (building work leftovers)

Reduced the frost damage to roots and reduced the soil moisture contact with the planters. Some still going strong after 15+ years and a couple of soil changes.

Back