Plans for space-saving saw storage solution?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
When I bought my Spear & Jackson handsaw and Veritas dovetail saw, I made a "temporary" saw rack with the idea that it would only be used for a few weeks in mind. Now it's been there for 6 months...
Saw Rack.jpg

The saw handles hang on the strip of wood levitated off of the wall by a couple of MDF scrap.
Problems are:
a. the Veritas dovetail saw's handle has a rather weird shape (i.e. the transition between it and the back is smooth) and doesn't really hang well on the rack
b. it takes up too much space... The saws' breadths span across the wall. I want something kinda like this one:
saw-till-new.jpg

http://www.timberframe-tools.com/tools/ ... ith-balls/

This one uses rubber balls to wedge saws in the slot... Clever idea but doesn't seem to safe...

So can anyone help me design one or just provide me with a good plan?
Thanks
Sam

Attachments

• Saw Rack.jpg
    Saw Rack.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3,364
I have a rough and ready "saw till" which is a common solution. It's an open fronted box mounted vertically on the wall. The handles rest on a bar at the front while their blades fit into slots a bit like your second picture.

When this filled up (how?!!) I cut a foot or so of broom handle and glued it into a hole in a block of wood fixed to the wall. The bigger saws hang from that, with their blades parallel to the wall. You have to lift off any that are in front of the one you want, but they are packed as close as they can be.

Pictures later if really needed.

I like lord nibbo's solution for his veritas saws....... google his blog and have a look at the pictures on the tool cabinet build at the end!!! Spot on solution!!!

I use the design idea shown in the second picture of J_SAMa's opening post, except that the wedging inserts are 22mm cylinders made from those plastic wine bottle 'corks' used nowadays in place of natural cork, rather than balls. It's used to store various handsaws, japanese saws, a hacksaw, a coping saw & back saws of various sizes (small 6" gents --> 14" beast of a tenon saw)

All my backless saws seat quite securely, even large-ish hand saws, but I do find I have to be careful when storing the larger back saws - it seems the weight of a heavy brass back can make the saw tend to rotate in the wedge, thus loosening its grip. No problem with gents saw & smaller dovetail saw, but I once had a big 14" tenon saw fall onto the bench when my back was turned, and it gave me a real fright - I've been very careful ever since to ensure all saws is securely wedged when replaced.

My plastic 'corks' are a bit too firm to provide a good wedging action - I suspect a slightly squidgy rubber ball would do a much better job : I'm going to look out for some. That said, however, the great benefits of the design are, as you surmise: it is very economical of wall space, since the blades project from the wall rather than lying along it; flexibility - it can accommodate almost any type of saw.

Why not just invert the above pic (the one with upside down saws) and use a thicker bit of wood with a cover ?

baldpate":1y5g4rvm said:
My plastic 'corks' are a bit too firm to provide a good wedging action - I suspect a slightly squidgy rubber ball would do a much better job : I'm going to look out for some. That said, however, the great benefits of the design are, as you surmise: it is very economical of wall space, since the blades project from the wall rather than lying along it; flexibility - it can accommodate almost any type of saw.

Do folk still play Squash? I seem to remember squidgy balls.
xy

I have a very similar saw till that uses rubber balls... It's been in constant use now for a few years with no catastrophies

Back