Planning permission for a wendy house??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarF

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise whether this is required? I'm planning to build one for our girls this year. While I know it would be cheaper to buy one in kit form from B&Q or some such, I'd frankly rather build to my own design, using my own production values. But having scoped out the different options at the local retail park, and a garden centre that supplies a vast array I haven't come across any information in either place regarding the necessity for planning permission. From briefly looking at the planning portal I got the impression that formal permission would be required- but this seems OTT for a play house in the garden.

Has anybody some experience to share before I flag this up with the local planning office?
Cheers
G

How big is Wendy?

I mean the size of the house, as if its a normal playhouse type in your back garden, there shouldn't be any problem.

I would suggest that the planning permission thread (sticky) in the projects forum will apply equally to a Wendy house as it does a workshop.

As I understand it, most sites built in the last 20, or so years have had the "permitted development"
Removed from the whole development.
This means that any additional building of any greenhouse, shed etc will need planning permission.
This situation should have been highlighted by you're solicitor carrying out the conveyance, on you're behalf.
Regards Rodders

Alexam- we're currently thinking in terms of 5ft by 4ft with just enough height at the apex of the roof for an adult to stand, with the whole thing sitting on a platform 7ft by 6ft (ie a 2ft 'veranda' on two sides)

In terms of the site, because we have a corner plot wider than it is deep it actually will sit in front of the front elevation of our house but be barely visible when looking at the front of the house if that makes sense. This feature is what makes me suspect we'd need permission, but I just can't get past the notion that going through the whole application process is rather excessive for a temporary structure that is barely taller than shoulder height.

Rod- the house dates back to nineteen thirties, but I don't recall the subject coming up when we bought it five or six years ago. Though the idea of building wendy houses or the like hadn't occurred to me back then either!

G

It falls under permitted development class e.

The same rules apply as for a shed, less than 2.5m high if closer than 2.0 metres to boundary.

If listed property / national park etc or restrictive covenent then you may need planning - as Rodd mentions, although isnt that common

Regarding position, if forward of house on side that faces highway it needs planning unless distance to highway is significant distance. If there are roads to 2 sides of house then it applies to both.

A Wendy house if small and quite low is probably not worth an application, if its not going to be very obvious ie hidden behind a fence. Also its a structure you could easily move or take down, so there isnt a great risk.

RobinBHM":2v3qqiyr said:

The same rules apply as for a shed, less than 2.5m high if closer than 2.0 metres to boundary.

Regarding position, if forward of house on side that faces highway it needs planning unless distance to highway is significant distance. If there are roads to 2 sides of house then it applies to both.

A Wendy house if small and quite low is probably not worth an application, if its not going to be very obvious ie hidden behind a fence. Also its a structure you could easily move or take down, so there isnt a great risk.

Probably six ft from boundary. Road to two sides, double whammy on this point. BUT five foot fence which starts from ground level slightly higher than adjacent pavement..... from the advice so far I'm erring towards no application- all the neighbours have kids themselves so I can't see anybody making much fuss.

RobinBHM":1jrv196p said:

If listed property / national park etc or restrictive covenent then you may need planning - as Rodd mentions, although isnt that common

As above, I would have thought that you have no problems in a 1930's dwelling.
It may be an idea to see what, and how long ago neighbours have built any thing similar Then at least you have "precedence" as a main planning consideration.
I'd be inclined to build it and see if anything said.
Regards Rodders

Put it on wheels and call it a car trailer :)
Thats what I did for a poultry house 4ft x 8 ft 2 mtres high. ( on skids and moved by tractor )

smallhouse.JPG

Attachments

• smallhouse.JPG
    smallhouse.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,632
blackrodd":2qdfb92y said:
As above, I would have thought that you have no problems in a 1930's dwelling.
It may be an idea to see what, and how long ago neighbours have built any thing similar Then at least you have "precedence" as a main planning consideration.
I'd be inclined to build it and see if anything said.
Regards Rodders

Yes, if anything was 'said', I should probably invite them to face down my daughters and see how far that gets them!
Cheers
Gareth

Back